Eye itching and redness

Hi, I am experiencing repetitive itching - typically in evenings and randomly through the day (1-2 times a day). It is in both eyes but dominantly in the right eye. It lasts about 30 minutes each time. When this happens, the eye turns red and while closing the eye it sometimes feel like many small and sharp pricks inside. Sometimes, the eye is glued when I wake up in the morning. I observe that this issue happens when I'm in Bangalore. When I went to my home town in Rajasthan, it disappeared. Is there a Bangalore specific allergen or pollutant which is causing a problem? Please suggest the potential issue and way forward. Thank you.

Doctor Answers (3) on Eye itching and redness

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal Sangrur | Ophthalmologist/ Eye Surgeon
Hello. I think you have allergic conjunctivitis. 1. Eye allergies, called allergic conjunctivitis, are a common condition that occurs when the eyes react to something that irritates them (called an allergen). 2. The eyes produce a substance called histamine to fight off the allergen. As a result, the eyelids and conjunctiva (the thin, filmy membrane that covers the inside of your eyelids) become red, swollen and itchy, with tearing and burning. The key to treating eye allergies is a. Avoid or limit contact with the substance causing the problem. B. Avoid rubbing eyes instead do cold compresses. C. Use antiallergic eyedrop like olopat eyedrop twice daily d. Lubricating eyedrop like flogel thrice daily e. Use mild steroid like flurisone in pulse dose in severe allergy this will help you I am very sorry dear to say that there is no medicine that can cure allergy. Only way is to stay away from all those things that you are allergic to. This is a provisional diagnosis. consult your ophthalmologist for detailed examination
Dr. Lokesh Jain Delhi | Ophthalmologist/ Eye Surgeon
Repetitive itching specifically associated with change of weather is suggestive of Allergic Conjunctivitis.Can use topical Anti Allergic and lubricating drops as advised by your near by Eye specialist.
Dr. Chethan R S Bangalore | General Physician
Hello there..... Don't rub your eyes, even though they may be itchy. Rubbing your eyes can make your symptoms worse....Place a cool compress over your eyes. Wetting a clean cloth with cool water and holding it over your eyes will help ease your symptoms.....Avoid exposure to the allergen, if possible.... Consult ophthalmologist if symptoms persists.....