Enlarged adenoids tonsils
Kindly suggest if adenotonsillectomy is a safe option to go ahead for a 4.5 year old. Are there any alternatives.

Dr. Parveen Chawla
ENT/ Otorhinolaryngologist 17 yrs exp Faridabad

dear its all depends on the grading of the situation
stop taking spicy foods and carbonated drinks ,
Dr. Gladson Guddappa Uchil
Otologist/ Neurotologist 20 yrs exp Bangalore

I usually post children for an adenotonsillectomy but after over night IV antibiotics, if the tonsils have shrunken on the table, I just do the adenoidectomy alone. If the tonsils do not respond, then I proceed to debulk the tonsils using my LASER leaving behind about 2mm of inert coagulated tonsillar tissue. Some of this will slough off and what remains will only structurally resemble tonsillar tissue but in reality will only be coagulated protein which will serve to reinforce the strength of the throat walls. This is much safer as compared to dissection tonsillectomy as it is almost BLOODLESS and recovery period is less than 5 days when compared to almost 2-3 weeks in conventional surgery.
If your surgeon uses Radiofrequency Ablation or Coblation Wands, that is also a very good method for tonsillectomy.