Does father have depression?
My father stays very aloof, is extremely rude and snaps at everyone all the time. His behaviour has been very extreme sometimes leading to us not speaking with him for months on end. Finally, I suspect maybe he has depression since my brother eloped to get married and then worsened after he retired from his job feeling worthless. Furthermore, we children became very independent and do not "need" him as much anymore. Please let us know if he has depression and if he can be treated. Thank you.

Consult a counsellor and seek diagnosis of his condition.
Please try to understand that he needs proper evaluation by a professional. We have to listen his mind. Of course elders need an ear. Please consult a psychiatrist. There is nothing to be ashamed of mental illness or treatment. If he is mentally healthy you people will enjoy more.
Need detailed assessment for proper diagnosis..Consult any Psychiatrist directly.