Does Fasting

My Granny is bedridden due to old age. She initially stopped eating food. So my mother use to give her liquid diet of soups, juice,mashed fruits, milk, tea and nachni milk. She used to have that but with too much fuss. And then she began having liquid diet also. Now to drink water also she has rejected. Why is this so? She doesn't have diabetes or any heart disease. She only used to have bp. But now she doesn't take those tablets also. She smiles and just stares and rarely calls out names. I am really confused as to what to do to make her have food. She is not ready to go to hospital to get saline or glucose attached. When asked other people they are saying its her last stage and she's preparing to give up her life. Is this so? I really love my granny and I cant c her in this condition. Please tell me what has happened to her.

Doctor Answers (1) on Does Fasting

Dr. Navya G Bangalore | General Physician
Hi there.. I can understand your concern.. refusal of feeds is common problem faced with elderly.. there could be many reasons for the same like reduced sensation of smell and taste, unable to see, monotony, depression, difficulty in swallowing.. finding the exact reason is important.. many would want to end life out of monotony and starve.. if she continues to starve then she would die so please take to nearest hospital for giving intravenous fluids.. consult geriatric care specialist once..