Do I Have Herpes?

I had gone out last weekend for a trip. I had played in the mud and somewhat dirty river. When i woke up Monday morning I had lesions near my lip. I did not have any pain or itching whatsoever. No fever nothing. I dint even know it existed. Attached is the image. I was told it was Herpes Labialis. I applied Herpex cream and within 7 days the lesions have almost gone. See before and after images. Is this really Herpes?

Doctor Answers (1) on Do I Have Herpes?

Thanks for the query. The picture is very typical for a classical herpes. The disease is self limiting most of the times and treatment is needed to prevent recurrences and to minimize the pain and duration of illness. Oral medications serve well. There may be a possibility of you having a break out again and remember to see a Dermatologist to understand it better. Treatment should ideally be started on the day before skin lesions are seen and it is possible because of a peculiar sensation in the area. There are certain triggers and you should avoid them.
Your dermatologist will decide a treatment plan for you after a consultation.
Avoid self medications.