Dirt & Cleanliless

My mother is suffering from dirt and cleanliness tendency from 14years. She don't touch anything while coming from road until she takes bath, wash clothes, clean the floor and spread some ganges water and she does the same with all the family members in our family. She don't touch the wall of the bathroom. She don't touch anything in her room. Anyone can't touch anything inside her room. If anything has touched by mistake, she would wash it. If I say anything against it or I try to make her understand that she should do these things, she starts crying and say if we don't accept it she would commit to suicide or she would leave the house. I am very frustrated. My father is angry with my mother. Neighbors laugh at us. Please suggest me what to do? How this problem will be solved?

Doctor Answers (1) on Dirt & Cleanliless

Dr. D. S. Poonia Jaipur | Psychiatrist
Hi dear, your mother is suffering from obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD). It's a psychiatric illness. The essential feature of this is recurrent obsessional thought and compulsive action like in mother case obsessional though is contamination of dirt and compulsion is washing or cleaning. These thoughts are very distressing to sufferers but they unable to control them. Please visit a psychiatrist get evaluated for same. OCD is a treatable condition so don't be worry about it.