Different types of stents

My father will be having his angioplasty in few days. I want to know about the different types of stents and which Stent will be best suitable for him. (I came to know from newspapers that hospitals are charging heavily for different types of stents). Please help...

Doctor Answers (1) on Different types of stents

Dr. Arunabha Das Darjeeling | General Physician
In this modern world,if you desire for best treatment,than my personal choice will be 1)DUAL THERAPY STENT 2) BIOENGINEERED STENT, 3)DRUG ELUTING STENTS. The first two have higher life expectancy and better prognosis. These are costly than drug eluting stents as Taxus or Endeavor. There is another kind of stent named bare metal stent. Never apply this stent,because it has relatively poor outcome and poor life expectancy. Bare metal stents never heal the inner endothelium of coronary artery unlike other stents. Costs may vary in private organisations. So,from economical point of view, government hospitals with cardiac surgeon will be best option for you.