diabetes-icon

Diabetes medication

Doctor prescribed me Janumet 50/500 mg tablets (by MSD pharmaceuticals) to be taken twice daily.However i came to know there is another tablet with exactly the same salt composition available in market at half the price- zitamet 50/500 (which is by an indian manufacturer). So,is it completely safe to replace janumet tab with the latter without affecting my body (as it will largely save my medical bills)?

Dr. Rakesh Arora
Neuroendocrinologist 5 yrs exp Varanasi
Ideally, the Indian manufacturer should have the same quality and standard as that manufactured by MSD pharmaceuticals, according to the rules. Thats the job of Drug Regulatory Authorities to take care that no low quality drugs are introduced into the market. If cost is a big concern, you can replace the brand with Indian brand and monitor your blood sugars. If the results are fine, you may continue with the other brand.