pediatrician-icon

Custom for Newborn

It is a custom to make Om mark with silver stick dipped in honey on the tongue of newborn baby in north india. Is it safe to make newborn baby lick honey or water.
views-icons 56 Views Bookmark this Answer
Bookmark
v

Doctor Answers (1) on Custom for Newborn

doctor profile image
Dr. Trupti Shetty Pune | Pediatrician
Answered
No not at all. You may be aware that  baby under 6months shouldn't be given even water for fear of infection.
Moreover a child less than a year old should not be given honey as it may contain botulinum toxin which can cause botulism in babies as they cannot digest them
Flag this Answer
Flag this answer
1/1 people found this helpful
Was this answer helpful?
YES NO