Consulting a psychiatrist

Hello doctor, I had planned to visit a psychiatrist next month. I have trouble speaking due to my poor speaking skills because of my ongoing depressive episode. So I have written all my symptoms on a paper. I have decided to give this paper to the doctor while consulting so that he could easily diagnose the problems exactly. Is this a right move? Help me. Thank you.

Doctor Answers (3) on Consulting a psychiatrist

Dr. Sheba Singh Mumbai | Psychologist
Keep the written material with yourself so that you don't miss out on anything. Psychologists and Psychiatrists are non-judgemental. Rest assure they will focus on your problem rather than anything else.
Ms. Sneha Bhat Bangalore | Counselling Psychologist
Hello Dear,

The measure you have taken to ensure not missing out on anything while consulting a professional is a commendable move. It shows your inclination & resolve to address every single thing that has been bothering you without failure. Writing also puts things in context & would help you gain a better understanding of situations as well as your response .

Having said this let me also assure that the psychiatrist/psychologist you shall be visiting is trained to put you at ease before talking to you & collecting information from you. You would be able to share things comfortably. However thorough preparation from your side before consultation is the right step.

Good Luck & Take Care.

Dr. Chethan R S Bangalore | General Physician
Hi..... Take steps to control stress, to increase your resilience and boost your self-esteem. Reach out to family and friends, especially in times of crisis, to help you weather rough spells. Get treatment at the earliest sign of a problem to help prevent depression from worsening. Consider getting long-term maintenance treatment to help preven,t a relapse of symptoms..... Consult Psychiatrist.....