Clicking sound
Hello Dr. I have been diagnosed with chondromalasia patellae grade1. I am very curious to know that what is generating clicking sound in my knee? 1. Damage cartilage is generating the sound ? 2. Pattela is moving out off the femoral cavity, thus producing the clicking or grinding sound?

Dr. Harisha N L

Chondromalacia patella results from degeneration of cartilage due to poor alignment of the kneecap as it slides over the lower end of the thigh bone (femur) causes the sound...This process is, therefore, sometimes referred to as patellofemoral syndrome..Selective strengthening of the inner portion of the quadriceps muscle will help normalize the tracking of the patella...Consult nearest orthopedic surgeon they will do the needful.