Chyluria Surgical

My mom has been diagnosed with chyluria. I have consulted with 2 urologists and both are of the opinion that schlerotherapy should be performed. However, one is saying that it should be performed on both the kidneys and other says that it should be performed on one kidney at a time. Whom should i trust ? Dietary intervention has failed.

Doctor Answers (1) on Chyluria Surgical

Dr. Anil Kumar Jain Bangalore | General Physician
Hello there. When one of the lymph channel gets blocked, that lymph can open in the hilum of the kidney or urinary bladder to chyluria which is a mixture of chyle (lymphatic fluid) and urine. Usually it's caused by a worm called the filarial worm scientifically known as wuchereria bancrofti which blocks the lymph channels. First line treatment is by using a antifilarial drug called diethylcarbamazine. In severe cases only surgery is advised. Performing the procedure on one or both is purely based on the surgeons experience. Doing on both can avoid unnecessary surgery again for the other one. You can go ahead with any, not an issue. Best regards.