Brown spot on the face

Hi, my wife has brown spot on her both face, around the cheek. It has been for few years. Is it safe to do a plastic surgery? How much will be the cost? If did a surgery, do she need to do check up regularly? How many years the surgery last? Will it affect the look in old age? Please advise. Thanks.

Doctor Answers (1) on Brown spot on the face

Based on your description, it appears that you have facial melanosis which could be melasma. I don't think surgery can be done for such a condition. ​​These conditions have a strong relation to one's internal health and it needs to be evaluated as often quoted - Skin is the mirror of internal health. Your dermatologist will decide a treatment plan for you after a consultation which probably will include a retinol based night cream and a vitamin C based lotion. Sun protection is mandatory and will require usage of Sunscreens. You may benefit from usage of a Laser device i.e. Q- switched N d YAG. Internal health needs to be fixed based on blood chemistry reports.  Apart from active pharmaceutical medicines, a healthy diet and lifestyle is mandatory to achieve results.  Best wishes Dr MK Agarwala