Breathlessness at night

I have been having this weird problem of waking up in the middle of the night generally within 1st hour of sleep, where I wake up suddenly short of breath. It feels like someone stopped my breath. And there is lit of palpitation at that time and hardly able to see properly anything. I have consulted both the chest doctors and gastrointestinal doctors. The chest x ray and lung functions tests and ecg are all normal. But I have gastro reflux (gerd) problem which was acute at one time, but under check now. Medication which has been helping is nexpro-40. I Doctors say it's nothing to worry about. But the thing is it is very scary when it happens almost every night. And sometimes during day too. And it's been over an year now. What should I do?

Doctor Answers (1) on Breathlessness at night

Dr. Chethan R S Bangalore | General Physician
Hi.... Eat smaller meals. Avoid overeating by eating smaller meals. Don't lie down after a meal. Wait at least three hours after eating before lying down or going to bed. Elevate the head of your bed.... Avoid or limit caffeine and alcohol and don't use nicotine. All of these can make it harder to sleep. Avoid caffeine after lunchtime. Avoiding alcohol can help prevent restless sleep and frequent awakenings.....