Bleeding after sex
My wife and I had sex 2 days ago, she has observed bleeding from her vagina since. This is not the first time we had sex. And her periods aren't due for another 10-12 days. What can be the reason behind this? She also observes mild pain in the pelvic region. She is currently under medication for thyroid.

Dr. Neelima Deshpande
Sexologist 26 yrs exp Pune

Thank you for your question. If you have sex infrequently your wife may experience vaginal bleeding following some trauma during intercourse. This usually settles by itself and needs no special medication. Using a water based lubricant can help prevent it next time. Other causes may be an episode of midcycle bleeding that some women experience concurrently with ovulation. This is often associated with abdominal pain. This is also harmless and settles by itself. Yet another cause can be the presence of infection or inflammation on the cervix that causes bleeding on contact. The best way to diagnose this is by seeing a gynaecologist who can have a look and then offer the right treatment. Since it is difficult to know which one is the cause you may want to see your gynaecologist to determine the cause and get right treatment if required. hope this is helpful best wishes