Ankilosing spondilities

HI SIR, MY AGE 37. I HAVE ANKILOSING SPONILITIES. MY HLA B27 IS NEGETIVE. I HAVE RISTRICTIONS IN NECK MOVMENTS AND ALSO HAVE BACK PAIN. CAN IT BE CURED IN YOUR TREATMENT.? KINDLY REPLY SIR.

Dr. Tiji Mathew Thomas (PT)
Physiotherapist 17 yrs exp Ernakulam

Ankylosing spondylitis (AS) is arthritis of spine which usually is progressesive in nature, but the process may get arrested at anytime. AS is usually ascending type beginning from the lower back and creeping up. When HLA B27 is negative, HLA C 06 and HLA B 07 is also checked go rule out Psoriatic arthritis and juvenile arthritis or undifferentiated spondyloarthritis. These are usually recommended by an immunologist or a rheumatologist who will suggest you with appropriate tests and drugs. When disease activity is more, drugs can help reduce the progressive phase. Physiotherapy will help you to improve and maintain spinal mobility thereby increasing the joint function and muscle strength which is crucial for spinal health. Pain relief and local inflammation reducing physiotherapy will help you in managing your condition well. Based on your occupation, your physio will also help you in giving back care programme.