Allergic Rhinitis

I have been getting intermittent running nose due to dust allergy,sinus issues. Initially I used cetrizine to control it ,now I became addicted to the tablet whenever I get same  symptoms.I tried with some Ayervedic treatment which didn't work for me,hence I continued with Cetrizine till date. Please advise.

Dr. Vinay S Bhat
ENT/ Otorhinolaryngologist 7 yrs exp Bangalore

you are suffering from allergic disease of the nose known as allergic rhinitis. in this condition any exposure to allergen will cause hyperactive reaction in nose which leads to nose blocks, sneezing and profuse nasal discharge sometimes associated with itching in nose, throat and eyes any drug which is anti allergic such as cetrizine will certainly reduce the symptoms but can't cure the condition, intact none of the medicines can! so you need to control the symptoms with better acting drugs which have less or minimal side effects cetrizine is not habit forming though less potent than newer drugs it works well you should use steroid nasal sprays and newer antihistamines for optimum control of symptoms. surgery has very minimal value in treatment of allergy