Acne during pregnancy

I am 12 weeks pregnant, and since then I have been having acne breakouts on my face even though I wash my face twice a day and keep it hydrated by applying moisturiser n drinking water. I did not have acne problem before.. My skin type is normal. Please suggest.

Dr. Vijay Adhe
Dermatologist 10 yrs exp Mumbai
Hi Acne breakout is common in first 3-6 months of pregnancy due to certain hormonal changes. Just washing face and drinking water won't lead to control of acne without treatment. Treating acne during pregnancy is tricky as many of the medicines used routinely can not be given. And as self medication can be harmful to baby, I would suggest to consult a qualified Dermatologist to keep acne under control. Most of the time acne clearance is seen post delivery. Regards Dr Vijay Adhe, Eternis Skin & Hair Clinic, Pune. www.eternisclinic.com