cancer-icon

About radiation

I was treated for Hodgkin's disease stage 3b by 12 chemotherapies. Now it's radiation required, radiation doctor suggest me IGRT radiation for my chest and left armpit cause of bulky disease (>7cm). but they ignore other small nodes around my neck. they said that all lumps are dead. Is it right? Do I need 2 opinion?

Doctor Answers (1) on About radiation

Dr. Chethan R S Bangalore | General Physician
Which treatment options are appropriate for your Hodgkin's lymphoma depends on your type and stage of disease, your overall health, and your preferences. The goal of treatment is to destroy as many cancer cells as possible and bring the disease into remission.

A stem cell transplant is a treatment to replace your diseased bone marrow with healthy stem cells that help you grow new bone marrow. A stem cell transplant may be an option if Hodgkin's lymphoma returns despite treatment.

During a stem cell transplant, your own blood stem cells are removed, frozen and stored for later use. Next you receive high-dose chemotherapy and radiation therapy to destroy cancerous cells in your body. Finally your stem cells are thawed and injected into your body through your veins. The stem cells help build healthy bone marrow.