Frequently Asked Questions
What is Tummy Tuck?
Tummy Tuck is called as Abdominoplasty. This is a cosmetic surgery that helps in reshaping the abdomen by removing excess skin and fat from the lower and upper abdomen. It also tightens muscles in the abdomen and in a few cases, it removes some of the abdominal stretch marks. This makes the abdomen thinner and firm.
What are the advantages of Tummy Tuck?
Some of the advantages of Tummy Tuck are:
- Helps to reduce stress urinary incontinence
- Improves the shape of the abdomen
- Provides better posture
- Removes stretch marks
- Corrects the ventral hernia
What are the indications of Tummy Tuck?
Tummy Tuck is indicated in the following conditions:
- To maintain the desired shape of the abdomen.
- To get a better posture.
- To remove stretch marks on the abdomen.
- To get thinner and firm abdomen.
What is the preparation for Tummy Tuck?
Before surgery, the doctor may do the following check-ups and tests:
- Blood test [complete hemogram]
- Urine tests
- Cholesterol test [lipid profile]
- General weight checkup
- BMI [body mass index]
Other preparation instructions for Tummy Tuck are:
- Photos will be taken before and after the surgery for comparison.
- The patient will be advised to stop smoking before 3 weeks - 4 weeks of the surgery.
- The patient should discuss present and past medical and medication history with the doctor.
- Discuss with the doctor about all the risks, complications, and benefits associated with Tummy Tuck Surgery.
What are the steps involved in Tummy Tuck?
Steps involved in Tummy Tuck are the following:
- General anesthesia or local anesthesia will be given to the patient before the surgery.
- A horizontally-oriented incision will be made between the pubic hairline and the belly button.
- The length and shape of the incision will be determined by the amount of excess skin and fat.
- Then, the abdominal skin is lifted and the weakened muscles of the abdomen will be repaired.
- A second incision will be made around the navel.
- Then, excess skin and fat will be removed from the upper abdomen.
- The remaining skin is sutured together and a new belly button is created.
- The incisions made are closed by sutures, tapes, and/or skin adhesives.
- After the procedure, images will be taken and compared with the images prior to the surgery.
What is the postprocedure care/recovery care for Tummy Tuck?
- Patients who are given general anesthesia may need to spend in the hospital for a whole night and patients who received local anesthesia may be discharged on the same day of the surgery.
- Bandages or elasticated support corset will be fitted to the specific areas of the body from where the fat is removed.
- Antibiotics may be given immediately after the surgery to prevent infections.
- There may be mild to moderate pain and bruising after the surgery and to reduce these, pain killers will be prescribed to the patient.
- Numbness may present at the site of fat removal and may improve within 6-9 weeks after the surgery.
- Swelling of the skin may occur and slowly return to normal within 3 months.
- Should follow diet and exercises as directed by the doctor.
Who can perform Tummy Tuck [Right specialist type for Tummy Tuck]?
Tummy Tuck can be performed by:
- A Plastic surgeon
- A Dermatologist
- An experienced surgeon in Abdominoplasty
What is the cost of Tummy Tuck?
Cost of Tummy Tuck depends on factors such as:
- Admission fee
- Doctor fee
- Age of the patient
- The amount of fat to be removed from the abdomen.
- The medical condition of the patient
- Postsurgical complications that are involved
- Type of hospital
- The admission room that you opted for
- Any other lab tests or examination tests such as X-ray, ECG, etc.
Minimum amount to be paid in Chennai starts from Rs.80,000
Average charges in Chennai is approximately Rs.1,37,571
Maximum cost in Chennai rises up to Rs.2,50,000
Is Tummy Tuck major surgery or minor surgery?
Tummy Tuck can be either major or minor surgery depending on the patient's medical condition and the size of the abdomen to be treated.
What is the eligibility criteria for Tummy Tuck?
People who can undergo Tummy Tuck are:
- Individuals who don't have any serious medical problems that affect the healing process.
- People who don't see any changes even after following the diet and exercises.
- Individuals who are unhappy with the shape and size of their abdomen.
- People having excess loose skin and fat in the abdominal region.
What is the ineligibility criteria for Tummy Tuck?
People who cannot undergo Tummy Tuck are:
- Individuals who can see changes in the abdomen after following diet and exercise.
- People with serious health conditions such as heart disease, hypertension, edema, and diabetes, etc.
What are the risks and complications associated with Tummy Tuck?
Risks and Complications associated with Tummy Tuck are:
- Bleeding at the incision site
- Skin loss
- Change in skin sensation
- Delayed wound healing
- Recurrence of loosened skin
- Cardiac or pulmonary complications
- Irregular skin surface
How long does it take to complete Tummy Tuck?
Tummy Tuck may take almost 1-2 hours to complete. Sometimes, it may take more than usual time to complete depending on the condition of the patient and size of tummy.
What is the recovery time?
The patient who undergoes Tummy Tuck may need to wear an abdominal binder for about 6 weeks and takes about 6-8 weeks for complete recovery.
What is the success rate of Tummy Tuck?
The success rate of Tummy Tuck depends on the following factors:
- Age of the patient
- The medical condition of the patient
- Size of the tummy or abdomen
However, the success rate of Tummy Tuck maybe 85%.
Is Tummy Tuck painful?
Every surgery comes with a certain level of pain and some discomfort. You won't be experiencing pain during this process because you will be under general anesthesia. There may be some discomfort after the procedure.
Is Tummy Tuck Permanent?
During the Tummy Tuck, excess fat and loose skin will be removed in the abdominal region. So, this cosmetic surgery is permanent and helps the abdomen to look thinner and firm.
What are the long-term results of Tummy Tuck?
Long-term results of Tummy Tuck are:
- Improves the shape and size fo the abdomen
- Tighten the abdomen
- Weight gain may occur
Can Tummy Tuck be detected in the future?
Tummy Tuck may be detected in the future by comparing the photos of the abdomen/tummy before and after the surgery.
What are the options if Tummy Tuck fails?
If the desired shape of the abdomen is not achieved after the Tummy Tuck, then the doctor may recommend:
- Revision Tummy tuck
- Exercise with a special diet given by the dietician
- May include nonsurgical fat reduction methods such as fat burning medications or supplements.
What are the alternatives for Tummy Tuck?
Some of the alternatives for Tummy Tuck are:
- Gastric bypass surgery
- Abdominal etching