Frequently Asked Questions
What is Blood Cancer Treatment?
Blood cancer is also called as hematologic cancer. Blood cancer occurs when the blood cells start growing abnormally and interrupt the normal function of blood cells. It starts from the bone marrow where blood cells are produced. There are different types of blood cancers and they are:
- Leukemia:- Develops in the bone marrow and abnormal production of white blood cells that interfere with the bone marrow ability to produce red blood cells.
- Non-Hodgkin lymphoma:- A blood cancer that develops in the lymphatic system and interferes the ability of the body to fight against infections.
- Hodgkin lymphoma
- Multiple myelomas
Treatment options for blood cancer vary from the type and stage of cancer and the health condition of the patient. Some of the blood cancer treatment options are:
- Stem-cell transplantation
- Radiation therapy
What are the advantages of Blood Cancer Treatment?
- Decreases the growth of cancer cells
- Cure or treat the cancer
- Controls the spread of cancer to surrounding healthy cells
- Reduce the chances of reoccurrence of the cancer
- Improves the quality of life of the patient
- Reduces the need for surgery
What are the indications of Blood Cancer Treatment?
Blood Cancer Treatment is indicated if the patient is diagnosed with blood cancer.
Who can perform Blood Cancer Treatment [Right specialist type for Blood Cancer Treatment]?
Blood Cancer Treatment can be performed by an experienced Oncologist.
What is the cost of Blood Cancer Treatment?
Cost of Blood Cancer Treatment depends on factors such as:
- Admission fee
- Doctor fee
- Number of treatment cycles planned to be performed
- Stage of cancer [the severity of cancer]
- Age of the patient
- Health condition of the patient
- Post-treatment complications that are involved
- Type of hospital
- The admission room opted for
- Any other lab tests or examination tests such as X-ray, ECG, etc
Minimum cost for Blood Cancer Treatment in Chennai starts from Rs.3,800
Average expenses for Blood Cancer Treatment in Chennai is approximately Rs.4,74,000
Maximum amount to be paid for Blood Cancer Treatment in Chennai rises up to Rs.19,00,000
What are the risks and complications associated with Blood Cancer Treatment?
Risks and complications associated with Blood Cancer Treatment are:
- Hair loss [Alopecia]
- Tooth decay
- Shortness of breath
- Nausea or vomiting
- Severe tiredness
- Mouth sores
- Dry mouth
- Bleeding problems
- Difficulty in swallowing
- Decreases blood levels or count
- Sexual dysfunction
- Oral inflammation
- Loss of appetite
How long does it take to complete Blood Cancer Treatment?
Time to complete Blood Cancer Treatment depends on the type of treatment, a number of treatment cycles, and the severity of the cancer. Generally, it takes almost 4-6 months to complete the Blood Cancer Treatment.
What is the recovery time?
The patients who undergo Blood Cancer Treatment may take 3-6 months to recover completely.
What is the success rate of Blood Cancer Treatment?
The success rate of Blood Cancer Treatment depends on the following factors:
- Age of the patient
- The severity of blood cancer
- Type of treatment performed
Is Blood Cancer Treatment Permanent?
Blood Cancer Treatment is performed to permanently decrease or to stop the abnormal growth of blood cells and to increase the life expectancy of the patient.
What are the long-term results of Blood Cancer Treatment?
- Reduces the reoccurrence of cancer
- Stops the spread of cancer to surrounding cells
- Kills the cancer cells
- Change in the sensation of skin