19 doctors available in Bhopal
Book appointments with minimum wait-time & verified doctor details
1. What is sore throat?
Sore throat is usually caused by viral infections such as whooping cough, common cold or flu; or a bacterial streptococcal infection.
Other causes include:
- Allergy to pollen or dust
- Breathing dry indoor air through the mouth
- Outdoor air pollution, cigarette smoke, chewing tobacco or exposure to certain chemicals
- Excessive muscle strain either by yelling or talking loudly
2. What are the causes of a sore throat?
The following factors increase the risk of a sore throat:
- Age between 3-15 years
- Cigarette smoke
-Smoke generated by burning fossil fuels and particles from household chemicals
-Weak immunity in those suffering from HIV or cancer
3. What increases the risk of a sore throat?
For the diagnosis of a sore throat,the doctor will physically examine the throat using a torch to check for inflammation. The doctor will gently feel the neck to check for swelling of lymph nodes and assess breathing with a stethoscope. A throat swab may be collected and analyzed for detecting bacteria.
4. How is sore throat diagnosed?
A viral infection is usually cured without specific medical treatment. Paracetamol or other mild pain relievers are prescribed to ease pain and fever. Antibiotics such as amoxicillin or erythromycin are given to treat a bacterial infection.
5. What are the common treatment measures available for a sore throat?
Cold drinks can increase thechances of suffering from a sore throat. They cause congestion of the airways increasing the exposure to infectious agents.