Frequently Asked Questions
What is Septoplasty?
Septoplasty is a surgical procedure that is used to correct the defects and deformities of the septum [wall between the nostrils]. This procedure is recommended by the doctor only after ruling out other treatments for nasal blockages. It helps to reconstruct the deviated septum or displaced bone and cartilage that divides two nostrils. This procedure may be recommended during Rhinoplasty.
What are the advantages of Septoplasty?
Advantages of Septoplasty are as follows:
- Improves breathing through the nose
- Treats long-term sinusitis
- Removes nasal polyps
- Stops bleeding in the nose
- Decreases snoring
- Helps in reduce sinus problems
- Clears blockage of the nasal airway
What are the indications of Septoplasty?
Septoplasty is indicated in the following conditions:
- Nasal septum deformity
- Displacement of the septum during intranasal surgery
- Blockage of the nasal airway
- Enlarged turbinates
- Uncontrollable bleeding of the nose
What is the preparation for Septoplasty?
- Before undergoing this surgery, inform the doctor about past and present medical and medication history.
- The Surgeon will check outside and inside of the nose to understand what kind of changes should be made.
- The surgeon may recommend undergoing certain blood tests before the surgery.
- The nose may be photographed from various angles to compare after surgery.
- Smoking will delay recovery. Hence, patients are advised to quit smoking.
- Discuss with the doctor about all the risks, complications, and benefits associated with Septoplasty.
What are the steps involved in Septoplasty?
Steps involved in Septoplasty are the following:
- General anesthesia or intravenous anesthesia is given to the patient by an anesthesiologist.
- Septoplasty can be performed in two ways- 1. Closed Septoplasty 2. Open Septoplasty.
- In closed Septoplasty, incisions are made in such a way they are hidden inside the nose.
- In open Septoplasty, incisions are made across the narrow strip of tissue which separates the nostrils.
- Through these incisions, skin which covers the nose bone and cartilages or septum is raised.
- Next, the large cartilages or broken bones or deviated septum will be removed to adjust the shape of the septum.
- During reshaping the septum, it will be straightened and the projections inside the nose will be reduced to help for better breathing purposes.
- After achieving the desired shape of the septum, all the incisions made are closed.
What is the postprocedure care/recovery care for Septoplasty?
- The patient will be advised to keep the nose area clean all the time to prevent any infections.
- Can apply an ice pack over the nose and eye to reduce swelling and pain.
- Keep the head in an elevated position while sleeping to avoid swelling and congestion.
- Please avoid blowing or sneezing your nose.
- Do not take a shower for about 24 hours after the surgery.
- Avoid playing sports like rugby, and cricket for about 6 weeks.
- Follow all the directions given by your doctor regarding the intake of medications.
- The patient may suffer from bleeding, swelling, and pain in the nose. So, take the pain killers as prescribed by the doctor.
- Make appointments for check-ups with the doctor.
Who can perform Septoplasty [Right specialist type for Septoplasty]?
Septoplasty can be performed by:
- An experienced Plastic Surgeon or Cosmetic Surgeon.
- A Trained Ear-Nose-Throat [ENT] specialist doctor
- An experienced Otolaryngologist
What is the cost of Septoplasty?
Cost of Septoplasty depends on factors such as:
- Admission fee
- Doctor fee
- Age of the patient
- The medical condition of the patient
- The severity of the septum deformity or displacement
- Post-surgical complications that are involved
- Type of hospital
- The admission room that you opted for
- Any other lab tests or examination tests such as X-ray, ECG, etc.
Minimum cost for Septoplasty in Bangalore starts from Rs.22,000
Average expenses for Septoplasty in Bangalore is approximately Rs.98,000
Maximum amount to be paid for Septoplasty in Bangalore rises up to Rs.1,23,000
Is Septoplasty major surgery or minor surgery?
Septoplasty is a minor procedure that helps to reshape the deviated or deformed septum.
What is the eligibility criteria for Septoplasty?
People who can undergo Septoplasty are:
- Individuals suffering from recurrent nose bleeding.
- People with displaced, deformed or deviated septum.
- People suffering from nasal airway blockage.
- In a few cases, it is done to the patients who are undergoing Rhinoplasty surgery for cosmetic purposes.
What is the ineligibility criteria for Septoplasty?
People who cannot undergo Septoplasty are:
- Individuals who are taking medications such as blood thinners and anticoagulants.
- People who are suffering from diseases such as clotting disorders and bleeding disorders.
- People who are suffering from breathing difficulties and can be treated with medication therapy.
What are the risks and complications associated with Septoplasty?
Following are a few risks and complications of Septoplasty:
- Infection of the nose
- Scarring on the nose
- Formation of blood clots
- Heavy bleeding from the nose
- Difficulty in breathing
- Delay in the healing process
- Tooth and nose numbness
- Irregularities in the shape of the nose
- Rupture of blood vessels in the nose
- Hole in the septum
- Unsatisfactory results
- Revision of Septoplasty
- Rarely, reaction to the anesthesia
How long does it take to complete Septoplasty?
Septoplasty may take almost 30 minutes to 90 minutes to complete. Sometimes it may take more than usual time depending on the medical condition of the patient and condition of the septum.
What is the recovery time?
Individuals who undergo Septoplasty may completely recover in 1 to 2 months after the surgery.
What is the success rate of Septoplasty?
The success rate of Septoplasty depends on the following factors:
- Age of the patient
- The medical condition of the patient
- The condition of the septum
- Experience of the doctor in performing Septoplasty
However, the success rate of the Septoplasty may be greater than 80%.
Is Septoplasty painful?
Every surgery comes with a certain level of pain and some discomfort. You won't be experiencing pain during this surgery because you will be under general anesthesia. There may be some pain, swelling, and discomfort in the nose after completion of the surgery.
Is Septoplasty Permanent?
Septoplasty is a permanent procedure as it involves correcting the deviated septum and helps in improved breathing.
What are the long-term results of Septoplasty?
Long-term results of Septoplasty are:
- Increased quality of life of the patient
- Improved nasal breathing
- Decreases the snoring
- Increases the sense of smell
- Decreases the nasal obstruction
Can Septoplasty be detected in the future?
Septoplasty may be detected in the future by comparing the photos of before and after the surgery.
What are the options if Septoplasty fails?
If Septoplasty fails, then your doctor may recommend a revision surgery of Septoplasty. In a few cases, Rhinoplasty may be recommended.
What are the alternatives for Septoplasty?
Septoplasty is the only way to treat the deviated septum. If the patient suffers from other nose problems such as bleeding, sinus, or reshaping, then some of the alternatives are:
- Nasal spray
- Medications to treat sinus
- Rhinoplasty/Nose job