Monitor to exposure to mercury, Acute and chronic mercury poisoning affects the kidneys, central nervous system, and the gastrointestinal tract. The three telltale symptoms of mercury poisoning are impaired articulation, irregularity of muscular action, and constricted visual fields. Mercury poisoning through chronic exposure to metallic and inorganic forms of mercury generally produces nervousness, lassitude, tremor, and mucous membrane irritation. Inorganic mercury poisoning is associated primarily with peripheral effects, including gastroenteritis and tubular nephritis, whereas organic compounds predominantly affect the central nervous system (CNS) and effects may be severe and irreversible. Chronic inorganic mercury poisoning is an occupational disease of smelters, mercury miners, gilders, and factory workers. Inhalation of mercury vapors may lead to pneumonitis, cough, fever, and other pulmonary symptoms. The most reliable way to measure exposure to inorganic mercury is to measure urinary mercury levels. Correlation between urine levels and symptoms is poor, however. The most common nonindustrial source of mercury poisoning is the consumption of methyl mercury-contaminated fish. Organic mercury poisoning is best detected in whole blood, as this form of mercury is located mainly in the RBCs. Organic mercury poisoning may develop quickly and is usually a more serious disease. Studies conducted by the CDC3 found that approximately 6% of childbearing-age women had levels at or above a reference dose, an estimated level assumed to be without appreciable harm (>5.8 _g/L). Women who are pregnant or who intend to become pregnant should follow federal and state advisories on consumption of fish.
No special preparation is needed for Mercury Test. Inform your doctor if you are on any medications or have any underlying medical conditions or allergies before undergoing Mercury Test. Your doctor depending on your condition will give specific instructions.
|UNISEX||All age groups||0 - 9 ng/ml|