Mustards were originally identified as members of a small but widespread genus of European and Asiatic herbs named Sinapis, but they are now generally included in the Cabbage genus, Brassica. All of the Mustard varieties come from species of annually flowering bushes or small trees, which are often experienced as weeds or even destructive pests. The leaves, Mustard greens, are used as a vegetable. If leaves are not harvested, strange seed stalks are sent up by the plants, and the condiment is made from the seeds. Mustard may commonly induce symptoms of food allergy, including severe anaphylactic reactions, in sensitised individuals, including infants and children. Mustard allergy usually starts before the age of three years. Mustard allergy may often produce severe symptoms during the very first episode and involve the skin, the gastrointestinal tract, or anaphylaxis. Symptoms may develop within an hour of eating food containing mustard, and include: Skin reactions such as eczema, rashes, urticaria, or pruritus, Swelling of the lips, face, tongue, and throat, Swelling of other parts of the body, Conjunctivitis, Palpebral edema, Wheezing, Runny nose and sneezing, Breathing difficulty, Abdominal pain, diarrhea, nausea or vomiting, Diarrhea and acid reflux in babies, Dizziness, Anaphylaxis a more severe form of allergic symptoms, or life-threatening symptoms such as swelling sufficient to obstruct breathing, shock, a fast and irregular pulse, and loss of consciousness. Mustard allergy is diagnosed from the clinical history followed by skin prick testing and specific IgE estimation. Since it cannot be cured, the focus is on the prevention of dangerous recurrences. Mustard must be completely avoided.
No special preparation is needed for Allergy Mustard Fluorescence Assay. Inform your doctor if you are on any medications or have any underlying medical conditions or allergies before undergoing Allergy Mustard Fluorescence Assay. Your doctor depending on your condition will give specific instructions.
|UNISEX||All age groups||Increased IgE (>100kU/l) is seen if the person is allergic to the specific substance|