Frequently Asked Questions
What is VSD Surgery?
VSD is abbreviated as the Ventricular Septal Defect. The ventricular septum is the thin layer of muscle tissue present in the heart and divides the lower two chambers of the heart (ventricles) into right and left ventricles. However, in some cases, the perforation may not close and continue until adulthood. Adults with VSD may experience symptoms like shortness of breath, pulmonary hypertension, abnormal heart rhythm, etc.
VSD Surgery can be performed by the following methods:
- Cardiac catheterization
- VSD closure by open-heart surgery
- Robotic-assisted VSD Surgery
What are the types of Ventricular Septal Defects?
Based on the location of septal defects, the following are the types of Ventricular septal defects:
- Conoventricular Ventricular Septal Defect: The defect in the ventricular septum below the pulmonary valve and aortic valve.
- Perimembranous Ventricular Septal Defect(PVSD): Hole in the upper ventricular septum.
- Inlet Ventricular Septal Defect: Septal defect where the blood enters the ventricles via tricuspid and mitral valves.
- Muscular Ventricular Septal Defect: Defect in the lower muscular part of the ventricular septum. It is the most common type of VSD [Ventricular Septal Defect].
What are the indications of VSD Surgery?
VSD Surgery is indicated in the individuals with a confirmed diagnosis of Ventricular Septal Defect.
Who are the best surgeons to perform VSD Surgery?
A certified and trained Cardiology Surgeon who is well experienced in performing VSD Surgery can perform this surgery.
What is the cost of VSD Surgery?
Minimum cost for VSD Surgery in Pune starts from Rs.1,98,000
Average expenses for VSD Surgery in Pune is approximately Rs.2,60,000
Maximum amount to be paid for VSD Surgery in Pune rises up to Rs.3,97,000
Cost of VSD Surgery depends on factors such as:
- Admission charges
- Consultation fee
- Patient age
- Type of hospital
Is VSD Surgery a major surgery or minor surgery?
VSD Surgery can be either major or minor surgery depending on the patient's medical condition, type of septal defect and the surgical procedure performed.
What are the risks and complications associated with VSD Surgery?
Risks and complications associated with VSD Surgery are:
- Bleeding due damage of a blood vessel
- Blood accumulation may occur in or around the heart
- Allergic reaction to the anesthesia
- Rise of blood pressure
- Blood clots
How long does it take to complete VSD Surgery?
Depending on type of surgery performed, VSD Surgery may take around 2-5 hours to complete.
What is the recovery time for VSD Surgery?
Individuals who undergo VSD Surgery may take 1-2 months for a full recovery.
What is the success rate of VSD Surgery?
The success rate of VSD Surgery depends on the following factors:
- Patient age and medical condition
- Experience of the surgeon
However, the success rate of VSD Surgery maybe 90%
Is VSD Surgery Permanent?
VSD Surgery is performed to close the hole in the ventricular septum of the heart. It is a permanent surgery.
What are the long-term results of VSD Surgery?
Few of the long term results of VSD Surgery are:
- Decreased chances of the occurrence of cardiac arrest or stroke
- Improved quality of life
- Increased life expectancy of an individual
Can VSD Surgery be detected in the future?
Chances of detecting a VSD Surgery in the future are based on the type of surgical approach chosen by the doctor (Open Heart Surgery or Cardiac Catheter).