Frequently Asked Questions
What is Tonsillectomy?
Tonsillectomy is a surgical procedure in which the infected tonsils are removed. Tonsils are the lumps of tissue that are present on both sides of back of the throat. They help the immune system to protect the body from several infections. If the tonsils are removed along with adenoid glands then it is called an Adenoidectomy. There are 5 types of Tonsillectomy and they are:
- Cold scalpel or cold knife surgery
- Ultrasonic or Harmonic dissection
- Electrocautery Tonsil removal
- Microdebrider Tonsillectomy
- Bipolar radiofrequency ablation
What are the advantages of Tonsillectomy?
The following are the advantages of Tonsillectomy:
- Fewer complications
- Reduce the frequency of infections
- Helps to treat chronic infections
What are the indications of Tonsillectomy?
Tonsillectomy is indicated in the following conditions:
- Sleep-disordered breathing
- Tonsilitis [Infection and inflammation of tonsils]
- Enlarged tonsils
- Tonsil cancer
- Tonsil bleeding
What is the preparation for Tonsillectomy?
- The patient will be advised to stop taking anti-inflammatory medications before 2 weeks of the surgery.
- The patient should discuss all the present, past medical and medication history with the doctor.
- The patient will be provided with specific instructions regarding food and liquid intake.
- Discuss all the risks, complications and benefits associated with Tonsillectomy with the doctor.
What are the steps involved in Tonsillectomy?
- The patient is given general anesthesia before the surgery.
- Then the surgeon will place a tool in the patient mouth to hold it open.
- Next, the surgeon will either cut or burn the tonsils using either a blade or a surgical tool that uses heat or sound waves.
What is the postprocedure care/recovery care for Tonsillectomy?
- After completion of the surgery, the patient will be transferred to the recovery room.
- In the recovery room, the health care provider will monitor all the vital signs of the patient.
- The patient will be discharged from the hospital if the vital signs are stable.
- The patient should drink plenty of liquids.
- Should take rest as much as needed.
- Take the prescribed painkillers if there is severe pain after the surgery.
Who can perform Tonsillectomy [Right specialist type for Tonsillectomy]?
Tonsillectomy can be performed by a certified and skilled ENT surgeon or General surgeon who is well experienced in Tonsillectomy.
What is the cost of Tonsillectomy?
The cost of Tonsillectomy may vary according to the following factors:
- Admission fee
- Doctor fee
- Type of hospital
- Age of the patient
- Type of surgery
- The medical condition of the patient
- Post-surgical complications that are involved
- The admission room that you opted for
- Any other lab tests or examination tests such as X-ray, scanning, etc.
Minimum expenses in Pune starts from Rs.13,000
Average amount to be paid in Pune is approximately Rs.43,016
Maximum charges in Pune rise up to Rs.62,000
Is Tonsillectomy major surgery or minor surgery?
Tonsillectomy is a major surgery that involves the removal of Tonsils from the back of the throat.
What is the eligibility criteria for Tonsillectomy?
People who can undergo Tonsillectomy are:
- Individuals who are at the risk of developing tonsilitis.
- Individuals who are suffering from severe pain in the throat (tonsils region).
- Individuals with breathing difficulty due to the enlargement of the tonsils.
- Difficulty in swallowing due to enlarged tonsils.
What is the ineligibility criteria for Tonsillectomy?
People who cannot undergo Tonsillectomy are:
- Individuals whose immune system is weak.
- People who are suffering from active infections, bleeding disorders.
- People who are currently on medications such as blood thinners, steroids, etc.
What are the risks and complications associated with Tonsillectomy?
The following are the risks and complications involved in Tonsillectomy:
- Reaction to anesthetics
How long does it take to complete Tonsillectomy?
The duration of Tonsillectomy is about 30 minutes to 1 hour.
What is the recovery time?
The usual recovery time for Tonsillectomy is 1-2 weeks. The patient may return to work or daily activities after this period. Once the tonsils are removed, there will be a white coating in that place. This may go off in 5-15 days.
What is the success rate of Tonsillectomy?
Tonsillectomy is a very common procedure for both children and adults. The success rate of this surgical procedure depends on the following factors:
- Age of the patient
- The medical condition of the patient
- Type of surgical procedure performed
However, the success rates of Tonsillectomy are very high.
Is Tonsillectomy painful?
Every surgery comes with a certain level of pain and some discomfort. You won't be experiencing pain during this process because you will be under general anesthesia. There may be some discomfort after the procedure.
Is Tonsillectomy Permanent?
Tonsillectomy is considered permanent because tonsils are removed permanently from the throat.
What are the long-term results of Tonsillectomy?
The long-term results of Tonsillectomy are as follows:
- Increase in respiratory tract infections
- Increased allergies
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder (COPD)
Can Tonsillectomy be detected in the future?
Tonsillectomy is the permanent removal of the tonsils from the throat. Very rarely if the tonsils tissue is not removed completely, there may be chances of re-growth of the tissue but the complete structure may not be formed. Consult the doctor if you feel the re-growth of tonsils.
Is Tonsillectomy safe?
Tonsillectomy is considered a safe procedure. Every surgery comes with some risks and benefits. Discuss the risks and benefits of the Tonsillectomy with your doctor before undergoing this surgery.
What are the alternatives for Tonsillectomy?
The alternatives for Tonsillectomy are as follows:
- First-line treatment for tonsilitis
- Antibiotic treatment
- Somnoplasty (shrinking of tonsils)