Frequently Asked Questions:
What is Spine Surgery and its advantages?
Spine surgery is a surgical procedure that involves repairing or replacing the damaged part of the spine. It helps to reduce the back pain, repairs the fractured part of the spine, and restores the functions of the spine.
Following are the types of Spine surgery:
- Discectomy or Microdiscectomy
- Spinal or Vertebral fusion
- Laminectomy or Laminotomy
- Disc replacement
Advantages of Spine Surgery are the following:
- Less risk of infections
- Early recovery
- Less damage to soft tissue and muscles
- Restores the functions of the spine
- Less painful
- Small scars
- Cosmetically acceptable
- Less blood loss
What are the indications of Spine Surgery?
Indications of Spine Surgery are the following:
- Non-dysraphic tethered cord
- Spinal stenosis or tumors
- Degenerative disc disease
- Transitional vertebra
- Annular tear
- Conus syndrome
- Degenerative spondylosis
- Thoracic outlet syndrome
- Latrogenic cascade
What can be the preparation for Spine Surgery?
- Before undergoing the surgery, the medical condition of the patient will be checked by the doctor.
- Patient should inform past and present medical and medications history to the doctor.
- A few hours prior to the surgery, the patient should not eat or drink anything.
- A few lab tests or other examinations may be recommended to the patient.
- Discuss all the risks and complications along with the benefits of Spine Surgery with the doctor.
- Before the surgery, the patient should sign a consent form.
What is the recovery care for Spine Surgery?
Few steps are recommended by the doctor for the recovery from Spine Surgery and they are:
- Avoid lifting heavy weights and bending down for at least 4-6 months.
- Take the prescribed medications as directed by the doctor.
- Consult the doctor if fever, pain, and swelling are present at the site of surgery.
Which specialist can perform the Spine Surgery?
- Orthopedic surgeon
How much does Spine Surgery cost in Pune?
Factors that may affect the cost of Spine Surgery are:
- Surgeon fee
- Type of implants used
- Patient age
- Type of surgery planned to be performed.
- Type of hospital
- Medical condition of the patient
- Post-surgical complications that are involved
- Admission fee
- The admission room that you opted for
- Any other lab tests or examination tests such as X-ray, ECG, etc
Minimum expenses in Pune starts from Rs. 60,000
Average amount to be paid in Pune is approximately Rs. 1,35,200
Maximum charges in Pune rise up to Rs. 2,50,000
Is Spine Surgery a major surgery or minor surgery?
Spine Surgery may be a major surgery as it involves removing or repairing the damaged spine.
To what kind of people Spine Surgery is recommended?
Spine Surgery is recommended in the following individuals:
- Individuals with a deformed spinePeople suffering from severe back pain due to spine damage
- Individuals with a herniated disc
- Patients suffering from sciatica
- People with spinal nerve damage
- Individuals with a fractured spine due to accident
To what kind of people Spine Surgery is not recommended?
Spine Surgery is not recommended in the following individuals:
- Individuals with weak bone strength
- People whose age is above 70 years
- Patients who are currently undergoing chemotherapy
- Individuals who are pregnant
- People who are allergic to anesthesia
What are the risks and complications associated with Spine Surgery?
Risks and complications of Spine Surgery are:
- Blood loss from the incision area
- Chances of infection
- Injury to the spine nerves
- Blood clot formation
How much time does Spine Surgery take to complete?
To complete Spine Surgery surgery, the surgeon may take almost 40 to 90 minutes.
How long does it take to recover from Spine Surgery?
It may take around 24 to 48 hours to recover from Spine Surgery.
What is the success rate of Spine Surgery?
The factors that affect the success rate of Spine Surgery are:
- Experience of the surgeon
- Type of surgery performed
- Health condition of the patient
- Patient age
However, the success rate of Spine Surgery maybe around 96%
Does Spine Surgery cause pain?
During Spine surgery, the patient does not feel any kind of pain due to the anesthetic effect.
Is Spine Surgery a permanent surgery?
Spine surgery is a permanent procedure as it replaces or repairs the damaged part of the spine.
What are the long-term results of Spine Surgery?
- Decreases the symptoms like sciatica pain
- Improves the spine functions
Can Spine Surgery be detected in future?
Spine surgery may be detected in the future as small scars will be present at the site of the surgery.
What can be done if Spine Surgery fails?
If Spine Surgery fails, then the doctor may suggest to undergoing revision surgery.
What are the other treatments apart from Spine Surgery?
Alternative treatment options apart from Spine Surgery are the following:
- Spinal manipulations
- Non–Invasive spinal decompression
- Back strengthening exercises
- Regular exercise or yoga
- Annuloplasty or Intradiscal electrothermal coagulation procedure