Frequently Asked Questions
What is Ileostomy?
An Ileostomy is a surgical procedure that makes either permanent or temporary opening in the abdomen from the small intestine to allow the intestinal waste to pass through without passing through the colon or rectum. The opening at the abdomen is called stoma. In this procedure, all the solid digestive waste is collected in a pouch which is worn outside the body of the individual.
What are the indications of Ileostomy?
An Ileostomy is indicated for the following conditions:
- Colon, or rectal, or anal cancer
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Diverticulitis [Infection to the small pouched in the digestive system]
- Blockage for the waste to pass through the intestine
- Chronic constipation
- Severe abdominal infection
- In case, a part of the large intestine is removed
What is the postsurgery care/recovery care for Ileostomy?
- After completion of the surgery, it takes an hour to recover from the sedation. If there is severe pain after completion of the surgery, take the painkillers prescribed by the doctor.
- Lifting heavy weights should be avoided for 2-4 weeks.
- Bowel sounds and passage of stool will be observed by the health care professionals to know the status of the surgery.
- Solid food items will not be given to the patient until bowel function returns to normal.
- The patient should not sleep on either side fo the body and should sleep in a position that the chest is facing upwards.
Who can perform Ileostomy [Right specialist type for Ileostomy]?
An Ileostomy can be performed by:
- Colorectal surgeon
- Experienced Colonoscopist
What is the cost of Ileostomy?
Cost of Ileostomy depends on the following factors:
- Admission fee
- Doctor fee
- Type of surgery planned to be performed
- The medical condition of the patient
- Post-surgical complications that are involved
- Type of hospital
- The admission room that you opted for
Minimum amount to be paid for Ileostomy in Pune starts from Rs.34,000
Average charges for Ileostomy in Pune is approximately Rs.67,000
Maximum expenses for Ileostomy in Pune rises up to Rs.1,02,000
Is Ileostomy a major surgery or minor surgery?
Ileostomy is a major surgery as it connects the one end of the small intestine under the abdominal wall surface to eliminate the solid waste without passing through the colon.
What are the risks and complications associated with Ileostomy?
Risks and complications of Ileostomy are:
- Damage to the internal organs
- Infection at the site of stoma formation
- Bleeding from the stoma
- Formation of scar tissue
- Skin irritation
- May develop a hernia at the incision site
- Narrowing of the opening in the abdomen [stoma]
How long does it take to complete Ileostomy?
Generally, Ileostomy takes 1-2 hours to complete.
What is the recovery time?
The patients who undergo Ileostomy may take 2-6 weeks to recover completely.
What is the success rate of Ileostomy?
The success rate of Ileostomy depends on the following factors
- Type of surgery performed
- Experience of the surgeon
- Age and health condition of the patient
However, the success rate of Ileostomy may range from 65% to 80%.
Is Ileostomy permanent?
An ileostomy is a permanent surgery as it involves the surgical incisions and bypass of the small intestine towards the abdominal cavity and creating an opening for the excretion and removal of stool, which gets collected in specialized collection pouches called stoma.