Frequently Asked Questions
What is an anal fissure?
A small cut or tear on the lining of the anal canal is known as anal fissure. Severe pain and/or bright red bleeding during or after bowel movements are caused due to this. Underneath muscle tissue is sometimes damaged due to deep anal fissures. An anal fissure is also known as an anal ulcer.
What are the symptoms of an anal fissure?
Following are major symptoms of anal fissure:
- A visible tear around the skin of the anus
- A skin tag or a lump of the skin around the tear
- Sharp pain during the movement of the bowel
- Blood streaks of blood on stools or on the toilet paper
- Burning or itching near the anal area
What are the causes of an anal fissure?
- Straining at the time of childbirth or bowel movement
- When blood flow is decreased to the anorectal region
- Too tight anal sphincter or muscle
- If an individual is suffering from inflammatory bowel disease
- Rarely it can also develop due to HIV, syphilis, TB, herpes, anal cancer, etc.
What are the specialists for treating anal fissure?
A certified and well experienced Primary Care Provider or Colon-Rectal Surgeon or Gastroenterologist can treat anal fissures.
What is the cost of Anal Fissure Treatment in Pune?
Cost of Anal Fissure Treatment in Pune depends on factors such as:
- Admission fee
- Doctor fee
- Age of the patient
- The medical condition of the patient
- Type of hospital
- The admission room that you opted for
- Any other lab tests or examination tests such as X-ray, ECG, etc.
Minimum cost for Anal Fissure Treatment in Pune starts from Rs.1,500
Average expenses for Anal Fissure Treatment in Pune is approximately Rs.20,000
Maximum amount to be paid for Anal Fissure Treatment in Pune rises up to Rs.50,000
However, this is not an exact cost for Anal Fissure Treatment in Pune. So, please discuss with your doctor regarding the cost.
What are the different nonsurgical treatment approaches for anal fissure?
- OTC (over the counter) stool softeners
- Consuming more fluids and fibrous foods
- Sitz bath helps in relaxing the anal muscle, relieve irritation and helps in increasing blood flow to the affected area
- Applying ointment or creams such as nitroglycerin (for blood flow) or hydrocortisone (for inflammation) or lidocaine (to ease discomfort)
- Botox injection
What is the difference between hemorrhoids (piles) and anal fissure?
Anal fissures are small tears or cuts on the skin inside the anus. Whereas, piles, also known as hemorrhoids are swollen veins and surrounding tissue around the anus or anal canal.
Is anal fissure treatment painful?
Anal fissures are painful but whereas, the treatment provides symptomatic relief. However, some mild discomfort can be experienced by the patient undergoing the treatment.
What are the lifestyle modifications to be made after anal fissure treatment?
Several lifestyle changes help in preventing future development of anal fissure and few of them are:
- Consuming 20-30 gms of fiber in the diet daily can soften the stools. Increasing fiber intake may cause gas and bloat so increase the intake gradually.
- Drink an adequate amount of liquids.
- Avoid applying pressure during bowel movements.
What are the risk factors of anal fissures?
Major risks factors for anal fissures are:
- Crohn’s disease
- Anal intercourse
What are the complications after anal fissure treatment?
Few of the main complications involved after anal fissure treatment are:
- Fissure treatment may fail
- Fissure may reoccur
- Tear may extend to the surrounding tissues and muscles
How can anal fissure be prevented after treatment?
- Keeping the affected area clean.
- Using mild soap and warm water to clean
- Consuming fibrous food and plenty of water
- Regular exercises to avoid constipation
- Treating diarrhea or constipation immediately
However, follow all the instructions provided by your physician.