Frequently Asked Questions
What is Breast Augmentation and its indications?
Breast Augmentation is a surgical/medical procedure used to treat medical conditions like the asymmetry of breasts, cosmetic enhancement of breasts, maintain symmetrical body shape by using implants made of saline or silicone. Breast Augmentation is indicated in the following conditions like individuals seeking to enhance the appearance of the breast, who had undergone partial or complete breast removal surgeries, not satisfied with previous breast enhancement methods, etc.
What can be the advantages of Breast Augmentation?
Some of the advantages of Breast Augmentation are:
- Asymmetrical breast correction
- Volumizing or enhancing breasts for a fuller and firmer look
- Mastectomy reconstruction
What is the required preparation for Breast Augmentation?
- Inform the doctor regarding present and past medical and medication history.
- Health status of the patient may be evaluated before undergoing this surgery/procedure.
- Discuss with the doctor about risks, complications, and benefits associated with Breast Augmentation.
- Before the surgery, the patient should sign a consent form.
- Discuss any allergies towards materials from which the implants are made of.
What are the steps included in the Breast Augmentation?
Breast Augmentation includes the following steps, Few of the steps may vary based on the approach:
- General anesthesia will be given to avoid pain during the surgery.
- These surgeries are done with a focus on keeping the surgical scars as least as possible.
- The site of incisions will be decided based on the type of surgery planned to be performed like under the breast tissue, armpits, underarms, or through the areolas or navel.
- The implants will be inserted with the help of necessary surgical instruments and adjusted accordingly.
What is the care taken after Breast Augmentation?
The patient must follow a few pieces of advice suggested by the doctor after Breast Augmentation surgery/procedure like:
- Wearing garments which will support the implants in place till the incisions heal
- Avoid sexual intercourse
- Maintain a nutritious and healthy diet
- Take all the necessary medicines regularly
Who is the right specialist to perform Breast Augmentation?
A plastic surgeon or a well experienced cosmetic surgeon with several successful breast augmentation surgeries can perform this procedure
What is the cost of Breast Augmentation in Mumbai?
Some factors may affect the cost of Breast Augmentation in Mumbai and they are:
- Post-surgical complications that are involved
- Health condition of the patient
- Any other lab tests or examination tests such as X-ray, ECG, etc
- Patient age
- Type of surgery planned to be performed
- Type of hospital
- Area of the body to be treated
- Doctor fee
- Admission fee
- The admission room that you opted for
- Type of implants used
Minimum charges in Mumbai starts from Rs.40,700
Average cost in Mumbai is approximately Rs. 1,74,130
Maximum price in Mumbai may rise up to Rs.5, 50,000
Is Breast Augmentation a major surgery or minor surgery?
Breast Augmentation may be a major surgery as it involves a series of incisions and implants to be inserted under the breast tissue while the patient will be under general anesthesia.
What type of people can choose Breast Augmentation?
People with the following conditions can choose Breast Augmentation:
- Individuals ages above 18 or 22 years can choose between saline or silicone implants.
- Individuals who are not satisfied with previous breast enhancement techniques.
- People who want to improve the appearance of the breast.
What type of people cannot choose Breast Augmentation?
People with the following conditions cannot choose Breast Augmentation are Women under the age of 18 years or with health issues like decreased immunity, bleeding disorders, weakness, anemic patients, etc.
What are the risks and complications of Breast Augmentation?
Breast Augmentation has the following risks and complications:
- Loss of sensation or numbing of nipples or areas surrounding it.
- Toxic shock syndrome, Infections and delayed healing time.
- Asymmetry of the right side and left side breasts.
- Deformed chest wall, hard lumps, tightening or hardening of the breast and area surrounding the implant.
What is the required time to complete Breast Augmentation?
The time required to complete Breast Augmentation may range around 2-3 hours.
What is the recovery time from Breast Augmentation?
To recover from Breast Augmentation, the patient may take around 2-6 weeks.
What is the success rate of Breast Augmentation?
Breast Augmentation success rate depends on the following factors:
- Health condition of the patient
- Patient age
- Experience of the surgeon
- Type of surgery performed
Does Breast Augmentation cause any kind of a pain to the patient?
Every surgery comes with a certain level of pain and some discomfort. You won't be experiencing pain during this process because you will be under anesthesia.
Is Breast Augmentation a permanent procedure/surgery?
It is temporary surgery and may require a revision or implant removal surgery after 8-10 years.
What are the long-term goals of Breast Augmentation?
- Regular follow-ups are necessary as the implants may rupture and leak into the breast tissues after 8-10 years.
- Sagging of the breasts may happen due to the age or weight of the implants and can require a breast augmentation again after 10 years.
What are the options to look after the failure of Breast Augmentation?
In case of a failed Breast Augmentation, the doctor may suggest a DIEP Flap procedure or removal or replacement of the breast implant or damaged tissue reconstruction through tissue grafts, etc.
What are the alternative methods or procedures for Breast Augmentation?
Alternatives for Breast Augmentation are the following:
- Breast enlargement creams or pills
- Mastopexy or breast lift surgery
- Fat grafting techniques