Olife 100 MG Suspension
Olife 100 MG Suspension is a broad-spectrum antibiotic used to treat a variety of conditions such as bronchitis, pneumonia, gonococcal infection, and certain types of infectious diarrhea. This medicine is not recommended for use in cases of common cold, flu or other viral infections since it is active only against infections caused by bacteria. Caution is advised while using this medicine in the elderly population since it increases the risk of tendinitis and tendon rupture.
Major & minor side effects for Olife 100 MG Suspension
In addition to its intended effect, Olife 100 MG Suspension may cause some unwanted effects too. In such cases, you must seek medical attention immediately.
- Abdominal pain severe
- Anxiety severe
- Black or tarry stools severe
- Confusion severe
- Diarrhea severe
- Fever severe
- Painful urination severe rare
- Decreased appetite severe rare
- Joint pain severe rare
- Change in taste
- Excessive air or gas in stomach
- Runny Nose
This is not an exhaustive list of side effects. Please inform your doctor if you experience any adverse reaction to the medication.
Commonly asked questions for Olife 100 MG Suspension
Onset of action
The effect of this medicine can be observed within 1 to 3 hours of administration of the dose.
Duration of effect
The effect of this medicine lasts for an average duration of 16 to 20 hours.
Safe with alcohol?
Interaction with alcohol is unknown. It is advisable to consult your doctor before consumption.
Is it habit forming?
No habit forming tendency has been reported.
Usage in pregnancy?
This medicine is not recommended for use in pregnant women unless absolutely necessary. All the risks and benefits should be discussed with the doctor before taking this medicine.
Usage while breast-feeding?
This medicine is not recommended for use in breastfeeding women unless absolutely necessary since it may affect the development of the infant's joints. All the risks and benefits should be discussed with the doctor before taking this medicine. If the medicine is used, the infant should be monitored closely for any adverse effects such as diarrhea or diaper rash.
List of substitutes for Olife 100 MG Suspension
What is it prescribed for?
Uses of Olife 100 MG Suspension
- CystitisOlife 100 MG Suspension is used in the treatment of cystitis, a bladder infection caused by E.coli, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Enterococci, or Klebsiella pneumoniae.
- PyelonephritisOlife 100 MG Suspension is used in the treatment of Pyelonephritis, a type of kidney infection caused by E.coli, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Enterococci, or Klebsiella pneumoniae.
- UrethritisOlife 100 MG Suspension is used in the treatment of Nongonococcal urethritis which is an inflammation of urethra caused by E.coli, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, or Klebsiella.
- Skin and Structure InfectionOlife 100 MG Suspension is used in the treatment of Skin and Structure infections such as cellulitis, wound infection, and cutaneous abscess caused by Streptococcus pyogenes and Staphylococcus aureus.
- PneumoniaOlife 100 MG Suspension is used in the treatment of community-acquired pneumonia which is the most common type of lung infection caused by Streptococcus pneumoniae and Haemophilus influenzae.
- BronchitisOlife 100 MG Suspension is used in the treatment of bronchitis which is an inflammation of the lining of the bronchial tubes caused by Streptococcus pneumoniae, Haemophilus influenzae, or some Mycoplasma pneumoniae.
When not to use?
Contraindications for Olife 100 MG Suspension
- AllergyThis medicine is not recommended for use in patients with a known allergy to Olife 100 MG Suspension or any other fluoroquinolones.
- Tendinitis or tendon ruptureThis medicine is not recommended for use in patients with a history of tendon rupture or tendinitis (a condition in which the tissue connecting muscle to the bone becomes inflamed) since it may worsen the patient's condition.
- Myasthenia gravisThis medicine is not recommended for use in patients with a history of myasthenia gravis since it may worsen the patient's condition.
Missed / Overdose instructions
Whenever you take more than one medicine, or mix it with certain foods or beverages, you’re at risk of a drug interaction.
Interaction with Alcohol
- Interaction with alcohol is unknown. It is advisable to consult your doctor before consumption.
- Interaction with alcohol is unknown. It is advisable to consult your doctor before consumption.
Interaction with Medicine
- Ethinyl Estradiolmoderate
- Antidiabetic drugsmoderate
Central nervous system disorderssevereThis medicine should be used with extreme caution in patients with a history of seizure disorder and other central nervous system abnormalities since it may worsen the patient's condition. Report any incidence of tremors, restlessness, anxiety, confusion, hallucinations, etc., to the doctor on priority. Appropriate dose adjustments or replacement with a suitable alternative may be necessary based on the clinical condition of the patient.
ColitissevereThis medicine should be used with extreme caution in patients having a history of gastrointestinal diseases, particularly colitis, since it may worsen the patient's condition. Report any incidence of severe diarrhea, abdominal pain, blood in stools, etc. to the doctor immediately. Appropriate dose adjustments or replacement with a suitable alternative may be required based on the clinical condition.
QT ProlongationsevereThis medicine should be used with extreme caution in patients with a history of QT prolongation due to the increased risk of worsening of the patient's condition. This risk is especially higher in patients with heart diseases or electrolyte disturbances and elderly patients. Report any incidence of discomfort in the chest, heart palpitations, etc., to the doctor on priority. Close monitoring of heart function and vital signs, appropriate dose adjustments, or replacement with a suitable alternative may be necessary based on the clinical condition.
Kidney DiseasemoderateOlife 100 MG Suspension should be used with caution in patients with renal diseases due to the increased risk of severe adverse effects. Report any unusual symptoms to the doctor immediately. Close monitoring of kidney function is necessary while receiving this medicine. Appropriate dose adjustments or replacement with a suitable alternative may be required in some cases based on the clinical condition.
This is not an exhaustive list of interactions. Always inform your doctor beforehand about your medical history and current medications.
Take Olife 100 MG Suspension with or without food. Do not take in larger amounts than advised. Consult the doctor if you experience any undesirable side effects. Ensure that the treatment course is completed. Do not stop the use of this medicine without consulting your doctor.
Serious adverse reactions including tendinitis, tendon rupture, peripheral neuropathy, central nervous system effects and exacerbation of myasthenia gravis: Fluoroquinolones, including ofloxacin, have been associated with disabling and potentially irreversible serious adverse reactions that have occurred together, including: Tendinitis and tendon rupture. Peripheral neuropathy. Central nervous system effects. Discontinue ofloxacin immediately and avoid the use of fluoroquinolones, including ofloxacin, in patients who experience any of these serious adverse reactions. Fluoroquinolones, including ofloxacin, may exacerbate muscle weakness in persons with myasthenia gravis. Avoid ofloxacin in patients with a known history of myasthenia gravis. Since fluoroquinolones, including ofloxacin, have been associated with serious adverse reactions, reserve ofloxacin for use in patients who have no alternative treatment options for the following indications: Acute exacerbation of chronic bronchitis. Uncomplicated cystitis.
Tendinitis and Tendon ruputure
Use of Olife 100 MG Suspension will increase the risk of developing tendinitis or tendon rupture during the treatment or several months after the treatment. This may affect your shoulders, hands, ankles, or other parts of your body. You are at a higher risk if you are more than 60 years of age or if you have undergone a transplant of kidney, heart, or lung. You are also at a higher risk if you are on corticosteroids like dexamethasone, methylprednisolone, or prednisone. Report any unusual symptoms to the doctor immediately. Appropriate dose adjustments or replacement with a suitable alternative may be necessary based on the clinical condition.
Usage of Olife 100 MG Suspension without sufficient proof or suspicion of a bacterial infection should be avoided. Irrational dosing might fail in providing benefits and may even cause toxicity. It may also increase the risk of development of bacteria that are drug resistant.
Choice of treatment
Olife 100 MG Suspension can be used to treat acute bacterial exacerbation of chronic bronchitis or uncomplicated cystitis, but only as a last resort. This drug should be used only if you have no alternative treatment options for the above-mentioned conditions.
Olife 100 MG Suspension may cause dizziness or sleepiness and interfere with eyesight. Hence it is advised not to drive vehicles and operate heavy machinery after taking this medicine.
This medicine may make you more sensitive to sunlight or tanning lights. You are advised to use sunscreen and wear protective clothing to avoid adverse reactions to sunlight during treatment with this medicine.
- Ofloxacin: MedlinePlus Drug Information [Internet]. Medlineplus.gov. 2017 [cited 17 February 2017]. Available from: https://medlineplus.gov/druginfo/meds/a691005.html
- [Internet]. 2017 [cited 17 February 2017]. Available from: https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicine/25497#PRODUCTINFO
- Prescribing medicines in pregnancy database [Internet]. Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA). 2017 [cited 17 February 2017]. Available from: https://www.tga.gov.au/prescribing-medicines-pregnancy-database#searchname
We’ve made all possible efforts to ensure that the information provided here is accurate, up-to-date and complete, however, it should not be treated as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Practo only provides reference source for common information on medicines and does not guarantee its accuracy or exhaustiveness. The absence of a warning for any drug or combination thereof, should not be assumed to indicate that the drug or combination is safe, effective, or appropriate for any given patient. Practo does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of information provided above. If you have any doubts about your medication then we strongly recommend that you consult with your doctor, nurse or healthcare provider. See detailed T&C here.