Metolar 100 MG Tablet
Metolar 100 MG Tablet is a beta blocker medicine that is used for the lowering of high blood pressure and relieving chest pain caused due to reduced blood flow to the heart. It is also used for treating other complications associated with heart and blood vessels.
Major & minor side effects for Metolar 100 MG Tablet
In addition to its intended effect, Metolar 100 MG Tablet may cause some unwanted effects too. In such cases, you must seek medical attention immediately.
- Chest pain and discomfort severe
- Decreased blood pressure severe
- Blurred vision severe
- Dizziness severe
- Slow heart beat severe
- Shortness of breath severe
- Nausea or vomiting
- Skin rash
This is not an exhaustive list of side effects. Please inform your doctor if you experience any adverse reaction to the medication.
Commonly asked questions for Metolar 100 MG Tablet
Onset of action
The effect of Metoprolol (primary constituent of Metolar 100 MG Tablet) can be observed within an hour of oral administration. When given in the form of an intravenous infusion, the action starts in 20 minutes.
Duration of effect
The effect lasts for 3 to 6 hours upon oral administration. This increases to 5 to 6 hours upon intravenous infusion.
Safe with alcohol?moderate
Use of alcohol should be avoided while taking Metolar 100 MG Tablet especially when you start taking the medicine or a change its dosage. Symptoms like headache, dizziness, change in pulse or heart rate should be reported to the doctor.
Is it habit forming?
No habit forming tendencies were reported.
Usage in pregnancy?
This medicine is not recommended for use during pregnancy unless absolutely necessary. Consult your doctor about the potential benefits and risks before deciding to take this medicine. Even if the medicine is used, the dose should be as low as possible and should be discontinued at least 2-3 days before delivery.
Usage while breast-feeding?
This medicine has not known to cause any alarming side effects on the infant as the amount passed through milk is very less. However, caution should be exercised and the medicine be used only when the potential benefits outweigh the risks associated. Consult your doctor before taking this medicine.
List of substitutes for Metolar 100 MG Tablet
Below is the list of medicines, which have the same composition, strength and form as Metolar 100 MG Tablet , and hence can be used as its substitute.
What is it prescribed for?
Uses of Metolar 100 MG Tablet
- HypertensionMetolar 100 MG Tablet is used for lowering high blood pressure.
- Angina PectorisMetolar 100 MG Tablet is used for relieving long term chest pain caused due to reduced blood flow to the heart.
- Heart AttackMetolar 100 MG Tablet is used during the early stages of treatment of heart attack.
- Congestive Heart FailureMetolar 100 MG Tablet is used for the management of a heart condition where the blood is pumped in less than normal quantities.
- HyperthyroidismMetolar 100 MG Tablet is used with other medications to relieve certain symptoms of Hyperthyroidism.
- Migraine PreventionMetolar 100 MG Tablet is sometimes used to prevent and relieve migraine related headaches.
When not to use?
Contraindications for Metolar 100 MG Tablet
- AllergyMetolar 100 MG Tablet is not recommended for people who have a known history of allergy to this medication or any other medicines belonging to the group Beta Blockers. (Eg: Atenolol, Labetalol etc).
- Heart diseasesMetolar 100 MG Tablet is not recommended for people who have serious heart problems like heart block, Sick Sinus Syndrome etc.
- Circulatory disordersMetolar 100 MG Tablet is not recommended for people who have a severe blood circulation related disease.
- Heart FailureMetolar 100 MG Tablet is not recommended for use in patients who have severe heart failure and are getting emergency attention.
- Heart rhythm disordersMetolar 100 MG Tablet is not recommended for people having slow heart rate i.e (Bradycardia).
Missed / Overdose instructions
Whenever you take more than one medicine, or mix it with certain foods or beverages, you’re at risk of a drug interaction.
Interaction with Alcohol moderate
- Using alcohol while taking Metolar 100 MG Tablet may cause an additional lowering of the blood pressure. This may result in some very severe complication over time.
- Use of alcohol should be avoided while taking Metolar 100 MG Tablet especially when you start taking the medicine or a change its dosage. Symptoms like headache, dizziness, change in pulse or heart rate should be reported to the doctor.
Interaction with Medicine
AsthmasevereMetolar 100 MG Tablet should not be used in patients suffering from bronchial asthma or Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. Report the incidence of Asthma to your doctor so that Metolar 100 MG Tablet can be substituted with another medication.
Heart BlocksevereMetolar 100 MG Tablet should not be used in patients having a heart block greater than first degree. However, it can be used in this case if a pacemaker is present to correct the disorder.
DiabetessevereMetolar 100 MG Tablet should be administered with caution in patients suffering from diabetes or a condition where blood sugar level is likely to get low. You should consult a doctor if any symptom indicating a lowered blood sugar level is suspected while using this medicine.
Liver diseasesevereMetolar 100 MG Tablet should be administered with caution in patients having a liver disease. Suitable dose adjustment and safety monitoring are advised in such cases.
GlaucomamoderateMetolar 100 MG Tablet should be administered with caution in a patient suffering from Glaucoma. A change in the dose of current Glaucoma medicine may be required. In some cases, your doctor may advise the use of another medicine in place of a beta blocker.
High cholesterol and fatmoderateMetolar 100 MG Tablet should be administered with caution in a patient having high levels of cholesterol and fats in their body. Suitable dose adjustment and safety monitoring may be required in such cases.
This is not an exhaustive list of interactions. Always inform your doctor beforehand about your medical history and current medications.
Take Metolar 100 MG Tablet as instructed by the doctor. The dosage is likely to change based on your response to the medicine. It is advised to take this medicine at the same time of the day. The blood pressure should be monitored at regular intervals to ensure that the response at given dose is appropriate. Do not start or discontinue the usage of any other medication without consulting your doctor.
Ischemic Heart Disease: Following abrupt cessation of therapy with certain beta-blocking agents, exacerbations of angina pectoris and, in some cases, myocardial infarction have occurred. When discontinuing chronically administered metoprolol succinate extended-release tablets, particularly in patients with ischemic heart disease, the dosage should be gradually reduced over a period of 1 to 2 weeks and the patient should be carefully monitored. If angina markedly worsens or acute coronary insufficiency develops, metoprolol succinate extended-release tablets administration should be reinstated promptly, at least temporarily, and other measures appropriate for the management of unstable angina should be taken. Patients should be warned against interruption or discontinuation of therapy without the physician's advice. Because coronary artery disease is common and may be unrecognized, it may be prudent not to discontinue metoprolol succinate extended-release tablets therapy abruptly even in patients treated only for hypertension.
Metolar 100 MG Tablet can cause heart failure and reduced flow of blood to the especially in people having a heart disease. Suitable dose adjustment and safety monitoring might be required based on the severity of the disease.
Ischemic Heart Disease
Metolar 100 MG Tablet should not be discontinued abruptly in patients with Ischemic heart disease. The dosage should be gradually reduced over a period of 1 to 2 weeks
Metolar 100 MG Tablet should be given with caution to patients who are going to have a major surgery done. The dose should be very carefully monitored in such cases both before and after the surgical procedure.
Metolar 100 MG Tablet should be administered with caution in patients having this condition which results in an excess of substance that controls heart beat, blood pressure etc. Suitable medicine combinations is to be given in order to counter the effects.
Metolar 100 MG Tablet should be administered with caution in patients having a disease of the lung or the airways leading to the lung. It can be Pneumonia, Asthma or Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. Suitable dose adjustment and safety monitoring are necessary in such cases.
Diabetes and Hypoglycemia
Metolar 100 MG Tablet should be administered with caution in patients having elevated blood sugar levels. Some adverse effects may not be evident in these cases and hence doctor's intervention is a must before taking this medicine.
Metolar 100 MG Tablet should be administered with caution in patients having elevated thyroid hormone level. Some adverse effects may not be evident in these cases and hence doctor's intervention is a must before taking this medicine.
Peripheral Vascular Disease
Metolar 100 MG Tablet should be administered with caution in patients having narrowed blood vessels in the body due to any underlying reason. Dose adjustment and safety monitoring might be required in such cases.
Report the use of any other medicine including nutritional supplements that you are taking to the doctor.
It is advised to not indulge in certain sports while Metolar 100 MG Tablet is consumed. Archery, racing, shooting and other high-risk sports should be avoided. Sportspersons should refer to the list of medicine published by World Anti-Doping Agency which is not to be taken while participating in specific sports events.
- [Internet]. 2017 [cited 6 March 2017]. Available from: https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicine/152
- DailyMed - METOPROLOL- metoprolol tartrate injection, solution [Internet]. Dailymed.nlm.nih.gov. 2017 [cited 6 March 2017]. Available from: https://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/drugInfo.cfm?setid=be1c686e-37a5-4a53-945b-68a6ead35134
- Lopressor, Toprol XL (metoprolol) dosing, indications, interactions, adverse effects, and more [Internet]. Reference.medscape.com. 2017 [cited 6 March 2017]. Available from: http://reference.medscape.com/drug/lopressor-toprol-xl-metoprolol-342360#91
- Metoprolol - FDA prescribing information, side effects and uses [Internet]. Drugs.com. 2017 [cited 6 March 2017]. Available from: https://www.drugs.com/pro/metoprolol.html
- metoprolol Full Prescribing Information, Dosage & Side Effects | CIMS India [Internet]. Mims.com. 2017 [cited 6 March 2017]. Available from: http://www.mims.com/india/drug/info/metoprolol/?type=full&mtype=generic#Indications
- TOXNET [Internet]. Toxnet.nlm.nih.gov. 2017 [cited 6 March 2017]. Available from: https://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/search2/f?./temp/~kuKNec:1
We’ve made all possible efforts to ensure that the information provided here is accurate, up-to-date and complete, however, it should not be treated as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Practo only provides reference source for common information on medicines and does not guarantee its accuracy or exhaustiveness. The absence of a warning for any drug or combination thereof, should not be assumed to indicate that the drug or combination is safe, effective, or appropriate for any given patient. Practo does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of information provided above. If you have any doubts about your medication then we strongly recommend that you consult with your doctor, nurse or healthcare provider. See detailed T&C here.