Biomoxil 250 MG Tablet DT
Biomoxil 250 MG Tablet DT is a medicine used for treating a wide variety of bacterial infections. It stops the bacteria from growing by interfering with the cell wall synthesis. It's used to treat infections caused in the lungs and airways, middle ear, sinuses, skin and the urinary tract.
Major & minor side effects for Biomoxil 250 MG Tablet DT
In addition to its intended effect, Biomoxil 250 MG Tablet DT may cause some unwanted effects too. In such cases, you must seek medical attention immediately.
- Hypersensitivity SEVERE
- Diarrhea SEVERE
- Fever SEVERE
- Joint pain
- Skin yellowing
- Easy bruising and bleeding
- Heavy menstrual bleeding
- Tooth discoloration
- Nausea or vomiting
- Altered sense of taste RARE
- Convulsions SEVERE RARE
This is not an exhaustive list of side effects. Please inform your doctor if you experience any adverse reaction to the medication.
Commonly asked questions for Biomoxil 250 MG Tablet DT
Onset of action
The effect of this medicine can be observed within 1-2 hours of administration.
Duration of effect
The effect of this medicine lasts for an average of 1.5 to 2 hours after onset of action.
Safe with alcohol?
Interaction with alcohol is unknown. It is advisable to consult your doctor before consumption.
Is it habit forming?
No habit forming tendencies have been reported.
This medicine is not known to cause any harm to the fetus. But the evidence is inadequate and it should be used only when necessary after consulting a doctor.
This medicine is safe to use during breastfeeding. Any incidence of rashes on skin or diarrhea in the infant should be reported. It is advised to consult a doctor before taking this medicine.
List of substitutes for Biomoxil 250 MG Tablet DT
Below is the list of medicines, which have the same composition, strength and form as Biomoxil 250 MG Tablet DT , and hence can be used as its substitute.
What is it prescribed for?
Uses of Biomoxil 250 MG Tablet DT
- Ear Infection (Otitis Media)Biomoxil 250 MG Tablet DT is used to treat infections in the middle ear caused by Streptococci and Staphylococci strains of bacteria.
- Nose InfectionBiomoxil 250 MG Tablet DT is used in the treatment of infections in the nose and nasal chamber caused by Streptococci and Staphylococci strains of bacteria.
- Throat InfectionBiomoxil 250 MG Tablet DT is used in the treatment of infections in the throat and airways leading to lungs namely Tonsillitis and Pharyngitis caused by Streptococci and Staphylococci strains of bacteria.
- Lower Respiratory Tract InfectionBiomoxil 250 MG Tablet DT is used in the treatment of infections in the airways leading to the lungs. The infection can be Pneumonia, acute bronchitis or others caused by Streptococci and Staphylococci strains of bacteria.
- Skin InfectionBiomoxil 250 MG Tablet DT is used in the treatment of infections of skin and skin structure caused by Streptococci and Staphylococci strains of bacteria.
- Urinary Tract InfectionBiomoxil 250 MG Tablet DT is used in the treatment of infections of urinary tube, bladder (Cystitis) and kidneys (Pyelonephritis).
- Gonorrhea and associated infectionsBiomoxil 250 MG Tablet DT is used in the treatment of Gonorrhea and associated infections in the urinary tube and the region around the reproductive organs in both male and female.
- Typhoid feverBiomoxil 250 MG Tablet DT is used in the treatment of typhoid and paratyphoid fever.
- Stomach UlcersBiomoxil 250 MG Tablet DT is used in the treatment of stomach ulcers caused by Helicobactor pylori. It is normally used in combination with other medicines.
- Dental AbcessBiomoxil 250 MG Tablet DT is used in the treatment of infection of gums that result in formation of pus around the roots of the tooth.
- EndocarditisBiomoxil 250 MG Tablet DT is used in the prevention of a condition where the inner walls of the heart gets swollen.
When not to use?
Contraindications for Biomoxil 250 MG Tablet DT
- AllergyBiomoxil 250 MG Tablet DT is not recommended if a patient is highly allergic to amoxicillin or other antibiotics of Penicillins and Cephalosporins groups.
Missed / Overdose instructions
Whenever you take more than one medicine, or mix it with certain foods or beverages, you’re at risk of a drug interaction.
- Interaction with alcohol is unknown. It is advisable to consult your doctor before consumption.
- Ethinyl EstradiolModerate
MononucleosisModerateThe condition should be reported to the doctor before taking Biomoxil 250 MG Tablet DT so that proper substitute can be prescribed.
ColitisModerateBiomoxil 250 MG Tablet DT should be discontinued if severe diarrhea occurs. Patients having a history of Colitis should be monitored closely.
Renal DiseasesModerateBiomoxil 250 MG Tablet DT should be given after making adjustments in the dosage. The kidney function should be periodically monitored especially if the dosage is for a longer period of time. Suitable dose adjustments are to be made if a patient is on hemodialysis.
This is not an exhaustive list of interactions. Always inform your doctor beforehand about your medical history and current medications.
Biomoxil 250 MG Tablet DT should not by used if there is a history of allergy to antibiotics of penicillin and cephalosporin groups. Inform the doctor about the following condition viz. asthma, liver diseases, kidney disease, Mononucleosis, Gonorrhea
Biomoxil 250 MG Tablet DT should be discontinued.
Biomoxil 250 MG Tablet DT is likely to cause diarrhea. It may be mild episodes requiring no specific treatment or severe cases of colitis or Clostridium difficile Associated Diarrhea (CDAD). Chances of occurrence are very high in patients having a history of diarrhea after using antibiotics. All such instances should be promptly reported to the doctor.
Biomoxil 250 MG Tablet DT is likely to cause rashes and bumps on the skin if the patient is suffering from Mononucleosis. Usage of Biomoxil 250 MG Tablet DT is not recommended in such cases.
Usage of Biomoxil 250 MG Tablet DT without sufficient proof or suspicion of a bacterial infection should be avoided. Irrational dosing might fail in providing the benefits and even cause toxicity. It may also increase the risk of development of bacteria that is drug resistant.
- Amoxicillin - FDA prescribing information, side effects and uses [Internet]. Drugs.com. 2017 [cited 6 March 2017]. Available from: https://www.drugs.com/pro/amoxicillin.html
- [Internet]. 2017 [cited 6 March 2017]. Available from: http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2008/050760s11,050761s11,050754s12,050542s25lbl.pdf
- [Internet]. 2017 [cited 6 March 2017]. Available from: https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/PIL.26162.latest.pdf
We’ve made all possible efforts to ensure that the information provided here is accurate, up-to-date and complete, however, it should not be treated as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Practo only provides reference source for common information on medicines and does not guarantee its accuracy or exhaustiveness. The absence of a warning for any drug or combination thereof, should not be assumed to indicate that the drug or combination is safe, effective, or appropriate for any given patient. Practo does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of information provided above. If you have any doubts about your medication then we strongly recommend that you consult with your doctor, nurse or healthcare provider. See detailed T&C here.