75 doctors available in Ludhiana
Book appointments with minimum wait-time & verified doctor details
1. What are the symptoms of malaria?
Signs and symptoms of malaria include
- high grade fever with chills, vomiting
- muscular pain
- sweating, abdominal pain, diarrhoea
- convulsions, cough
- chest pain
2. What causes malaria?
Malaria is caused by Plasmodium species parasite which is transmitted by an infected mosquito's bite. It can also be transmitted by sharing needles, and via blood transfusions. Risk factors for developing malaria are
- travelling/living in endemic areas
- age- infants,and elderly
3. How is malaria diagnosed?
Diagnosis of malaria is done by
- Medical history
- Physical examination
- Blood tests for detection of parasite
- Rapid antigen test to detect malaria antigen
4. How will the doctor treat this condition?
After diagnosis of malaria, the doctor will prescribe the following medicines depending upon the severity of the disease, patient's age and pregnancy status
- Proguanil, atovaquone
He may also give symptomatic treatment for the symptoms of malaria - like fever reducing medicines and pain killers.
5. Can i get malaria again if I had it once already?
Yes, you can get malaria again if you had it once already. You develop some immunity after a malaria infection, but you can get malaria more than once as the infection can occur from a different type of plasmodium parasite or from dormant parasites in the body.