1. What is pharyngitis?
Pharyngitis is known as the inflammation of pharynx resulting in cough, sneezing, sore throat, fever and hoarseness of voice.
2. What are the symptoms of pharyngitis?
The signs and symptoms of pharyngitis are based on its primary cause. These symptoms are as follows:
- Sore throat
- Fever with chills
- Enlarged lymph nodes
- Nasal congestion and rashes
- Dysphagia, hoarseness of voice
3. What can cause pharyngitis?
Pharyngitis is usually caused by following reasons:
- Streptococcal infection
- Other bacteria such as Haemophilus influenzae, Corynebacterium diphtheria, bordetella
- Viruses such as respiratory syncytial virus, rhinovirus, measles, epstein-barr virus, adenovirus
- Fungal infections
- Acid reflux
- Chemical irritation
4. Whom should I see if I have pharyngitis?
An ear–nose–throat (ENT) specialist or otolaryngologist should be consulted in case you have pharyngitis.
5. Are there any complications of pharyngitis?
Yes, following complications arise due to pharyngitis:
- Otitis media