Fed up of endless wait?
Look for clinic with Prime
Dr. Nandini Ray

Dr. Nandini Ray

Claim this profile

MBBS, Fellow of the Royal College of Ophthalmologists of UK (FRCOphth. UK), Masters Royal College of Ophthalmologists (MRCO)

Ophthalmologist/ Eye Surgeon


33 Years Experience Overall  (30 years as specialist)

Medical Registration Verified

An award winning Ophthalmic Surgeon, Dr. Ray is associated with Fortis since 1996. She specializes in Cataract surgery and Glaucoma surgery and has done over 10,000 successful cataract operations till date. She is a pioneer in No Stitch No Pad No Injection Phaco with Advanced Technology premium IOLs in the eastern India.

1 clinic for General Consultation

General Consultation
Eye Surgery
Search procedure

Sarat Bose Road, Kolkata

Fortis Medical Centre


2/7, Sarat Bose Road, Landmark: Beside Central Plaza Building, Kolkata

Get Directions

Mon, Wed, Sat

09:00 - 01:00


Common questions & answers

Q: When should I see an ophthalmologist?

A: You may see an ophthalmologist in the following conditions ·Blurred vision ·Eye pain ·Eye injury ·Diabetes-related eye problems ·Family history of eye problems ·Dark spots in vision ·Dry and itchy eye ·Decreased vision ·Discharge from the eye and redness ·Cataract surgery ·Corneal transplant

Q: Does an ophthalmologist perform only surgeries?

A: Yes, an ophthalmologist also performs eye surgeries. If you need cataract surgery or a corneal transplant, your ophthalmologist will treat you accordingly. An ophthalmologist also specializes in laser surgery.

Q: What is the education qualification of an ophthalmologist?

A: To become an ophthalmologist, you first need to complete MBBS degree, which is a five and half years course. After this course, you need to give an entrance exam for a postgraduate course. You will have to complete a three years course in MD (Doctor of Medicine) or MS (Master of Surgery) Ophthalmology or DNB. Some medical colleges also offer diploma courses in Ophthalmology after MBBS degree.

Q: Can an ophthalmologist suggest me which contact lenses to wear?

A: An optometrist or an ophthalmologist can perform your eye examination and find out the error in your vision. However, an ophthalmologist specializes in dealing with complex problems of the eye. So an ophthalmologist can easily suggest you which contact lenses to wear.

Q: Are there any specialists in ophthalmology?

A: An ophthalmologist can specialize in a particular branch and specialize in treating that particular eye problem The specializations are as follows: ·Paediatric ophthalmology (specialize in children eye problems) ·Neuro ophthalmology (eye problems originating from the nervous system) ·Ocular oncology (cancer of the eye) ·Ophthalmic pathology (diagnosis of eye problems via the pathology)

Awards and Recognitions

Jurors Choice Award in the field of Healthcare - FICCI
Gold Medal from the IIRSI Indian Intraocular Implant


MBBS - Calcutta University, 1986
Fellow of the Royal College of Ophthalmologists of UK (FRCOphth. UK) - Royal College of Ophthalmologists, 1990
Masters Royal College of Ophthalmologists (MRCO) - Royal College of Ophthalmologists, 1991


West Bengal Medical Council


Consultant - Eye/ Ophthalmology at Fortis medical center


44871 West Bengal Medical Council, 1986
Report an Error
Contact Clinic to book appointment
Fortis Medical Centre
Sarat Bose Road
Due to lockdown you can call the clinic to check for doctor availability and appointment booking.
Instantly consult other ophthalmologist/ eye surgeon online
Dr. Nandini Ray is currently not consulting online with Practo