Frequently Asked Questions
What is Sigmoidoscopy?
Sigmoidoscopy is a medical procedure that is used by the doctor to check and evaluate the lower part of the large intestine [sigmoid colon] and inner lining of the rectum. In this procedure, either a flexible endoscope or rigid device which is connected to the camera is used to view the large intestine. This helps in detecting colorectal cancer, intestinal polyps, changes in bowel habits, and other symptoms.
What are the types of Sigmoidoscopy?
There are two types of Sigmoidoscopy and they are:
- Flexible Sigmoidoscopy
- Rigid Sigmoidoscopy
What are the advantages of Sigmoidoscopy?
The advantages of Sigmoidoscopy are as follows:
- Checks the presence of intestinal ulcers and polyps
- Detects the colorectal cancer
- Helps to check the condition of colon and rectum without any incisions
- Finds abnormal cell growths of the intestine
What are the indications of Sigmoidoscopy?
Indications for Sigmoidoscopy are the following:
- Colorectal cancer
- Intestinal ulcer
- Severe abdominal pain
- Intestinal bleeding
- Changes in bowel habits
- Unexplained weight loss
- Rectal bleeding
What are the steps involved in Sigmoidoscopy?
- The patient will be advised to lie on one side with knees facing toward the chest.
- Then, the doctor will insert the lubricated sigmoidoscope into the rectum.
- Now, the doctor will pump air into the colon for a better view of the lining of the colon.
- A sigmoidoscope has a video camera and it captures the images of the colon.
- Sometimes, the doctor will use other medical instruments to take the samples from the colon and rectum for further investigations.
Who can perform Sigmoidoscopy [Right specialist type for Sigmoidoscopy]?
Sigmoidoscopy can be performed by:
- Colorectal surgeon
- Experienced Colonoscopist
What is the cost of Sigmoidoscopy?
Cost of Sigmoidoscopy may vary and the factors that affect the price are:
- Admission fee
- Doctor fee
- Type of procedure planned to be performed
- The medical condition of the patient
- Post-procedure complications that are involved
- Type of hospital
- The admission room that you opted for
Minimum amount to be paid for Sigmoidoscopy in Hyderabad starts from Rs.1,000
Average charges for Sigmoidoscopy in Hyderabad is approximately Rs.3,647
Maximum expenses for Sigmoidoscopy in Hyderabad rises up to Rs.7,000
Is Sigmoidoscopy a major procedure or minor procedure?
Sigmoidoscopy is a minor procedure as it involves the usage of a sigmoidoscope to check and evaluate the condition of the colon.
What are the risks and complications associated with Sigmoidoscopy?
Following are a few risks and complications of Sigmoidoscopy:
- Tear in the colon or rectum wall
- Bleeding from the site of biopsy
- Abdominal pain
How long does it take to complete Sigmoidoscopy?
The duration of Sigmoidoscopy is about 15-20 minutes.
What is the recovery time for Sigmoidoscopy?
After Sigmoidoscopy, most people will continue their daily and social activities within 24 hours. On average, the recovery time is 24 to 48 hours.
What is the success rate of Sigmoidoscopy?
The success rate of Sigmoidoscopy depends on the following factors:
- Bowel preparation
- Experience of the doctor
- Age and health condition of the patient
However, the success rate of Sigmoidoscopy in the examination of the colon and rectum is 82.1%.
Is Sigmoidoscopy permanent?
This may not be permanent as the doctor removes the Sigmoidoscope from the anus after completion of the examination.
What are the options if Sigmoidoscopy fails?
If Sigmoidoscopy fails, then the doctor may suggest a revision procedure or choose alternatives.
What are the alternatives for Sigmoidoscopy?
Some of the alternatives to Sigmoidoscopy are:
- Fecal occult blood tests
- Fecal immunochemical tests
- Double-contrast barium enema
- Stool DNA