Frequently Asked Questions
What is Pyeloplasty?
Pyeloplasty is a surgical procedure where the reconstruction of the renal pelvis takes place. The renal pelvis is a part of the kidney. This surgery is usually performed to relieve a ureteropelvic junction (UPJ) obstruction. The ureteropelvic junction is located where the pelvis of the kidney meets the tube which drains urine into the bladder (ureter). There are two types of Pyeloplasty. They are:
- Open procedure
- Laparoscopic procedure
What are the advantages of Pyeloplasty?
Ureteropelvic junction (UPJ) obstruction may cause pain, urinary infections, high blood pressure, kidney stones, deterioration of the kidney function. These can be avoided with the help of this surgery.
What are the indications of Pyeloplasty?
Pyeloplasty is used to treat ureteropelvic junction (UPJ) obstruction. This indicated when the patient exhibits the symptoms of ureteropelvic junction (UPJ) obstruction. the symptoms are as follows:
- Recurrent flank pain
- Recurrent urinary tract infections
- Ipsilateral nephrolithiasis
- Deterioration in the renal function
What is the preparation for Pyeloplasty?
The following are the preparation steps for Pyeloplasty:
- Follow all the instructions given by the doctor or surgeon.
- Take food and drinks as instructed by the doctor.
- The patient may be asked to stop eating and drinking for at least 8 hours before the procedure.
- In case you are using any medications, inform your doctor about it and take them as directed.
What are the steps involved in Pyeloplasty?
The following are the steps involved in the Pyeloplasty:
- General anesthesia is given before starting the surgery to numb the area and to reduce the pain.
- The doctor makes a 2-3 inch incision and the obstructed segment of the ureter is removed and a normal caliber is reattached at the renal pelvis.
- A wire-meshed tube is attached to drain the urine from the kidney. Once the patient is recovered the stent is removed.
- This can also be performed by a robotic approach or laparoscopic Pyeloplasty.
What is the post-surgery care/recovery care for Pyeloplasty?
The following are the post-care steps for Pyeloplasty:
- The patient will be shifted to the recovery room after the surgery and may stay in the hospital for 3-7 days depending on the recovery rate.
- There may be swelling at the site of surgery for which the patient is advised to place an ice pack for 10 minutes. Repeat this procedure.
- Take antibiotics and medicines as prescribed by the doctor.
- Follow all instructions given by the doctor without fail.
- Take ample rest.
- The patient can return to normal activities after 4 to 7 days.
- Avoid having sex for up to 2 weeks.
- Do not swim or do strenuous exercises.
Who can perform Pyeloplasty [Right specialist for Pyeloplasty]?
Pyeloplasty can be performed by a certified and skilled Urologist who is well experienced in Pyeloplasty.
What is the cost of Pyeloplasty?
Cost of Pyeloplasty depends on factors such as:
- Admission fee
- Doctor fee
- Type of hospital
- Age of the patient
- Type of procedure
- The medical condition of the patient
- Post-surgical complications that are involved
- The admission room that you opted for
Minimum cost in Hyderabad starts from
Average price in Hyderabad is approximately Rs.57,245
Maximum expenses in Hyderabad rise up to Rs.82,390
Is Pyeloplasty a major surgery or minor surgery?
Pyeloplasty is considered a minor surgery with minimal incisions.
What is the eligibility criteria for Pyeloplasty?
The following are the eligibility criteria for Pyeloplasty:
- Patients of all age groups can undergo this procedure
- Patients with severe symptoms like pain and discomfort
What is the ineligibility criteria for Pyeloplasty?
The following are the ineligibility criteria for Pyeloplasty:
- Active infection at the surrounding area that is to be operated
- Bleeding disorders
- Patients using blood thinners
What are the risks and complications associated with Pyeloplasty?
The following are the risks involved in Pyeloplasty:
- Blood clots
- Abnormal swelling
- Drainage from incisions
- Difficulty while urinating
- Allergic reaction to anesthesia
How long does it take to complete Pyeloplasty?
Pyeloplasty may take around 2-3 hours to complete.
What is the recovery time?
The patient may be completely recovered within 8 weeks after the surgery.
What is the success rate of Pyeloplasty?
The success rate of Pyeloplasty is very high. It is approximately 90%.
Is Pyeloplasty painful?
Every surgery comes with a certain level of pain and discomfort. There may be some pain and discomfort experienced by the patient during Pyeloplasty.
Is Pyeloplasty permanent?
Pyeloplasty is a minor surgical procedure which may be permanent.
Can Pyeloplasty be detected in the future?
Pyeloplasty involves minor incisions and cannot be detected in the future.
What are the options if Pyeloplasty fails?
If Pyeloplasty fails then the doctor may suggest a revision of the surgery.
What are the alternatives for Pyeloplasty?
The alternative for Pyeloplasty is Balloon dilation. This process involves the stretching of the narrowed area with the help of a balloon which is sent from the bladder.