Frequently Asked Questions
What is LASIK?
LASIK or Laser-Assisted In Situ Keratomileusis is most commonly known as laser eye surgery. It is a surgical procedure which is used to correct or reduce faulty eyesight such as:
- An improper vision of the objects
The dependency of an individual to wear glasses or contact lens can be decreased by LASIK surgery. There are four  types of LASIK methods and they are
- Wave optimized LASIK
- All laser LASIK
- Topography-guided LASIK
- Wavefront-guided LASIK
What are the advantages associated with LASIK?
Advantages of LASIK surgery are the following:
- It has a high success rate than other eye vision correction surgeries.
- Very little pain and discomfort than other types of eye surgeries.
- May able to eliminate completely the need for eyeglasses or contact lens.
- It does not use any blades to cut the cornea.
- Correction of vision occurs immediately after the surgery or day after the surgery.
- Adjustments can be made to correct the vision during aging.
What are the indications of LASIK?
LASIK is indicated in the following conditions:
- Myopia [An individual can see the near objects clearly than far away objects]
- Hyperopia [The nearby objects appear blurry and the individual can see far objects clearly]
- Astigmatism [The individual has Irregular curvature in the lens in the eyes and the objects appear blurred]
What is the preparation required for LASIK Surgery?
The following are the preparation steps for LASIK:
- The doctor will brief all the benefits, risks, and complications associated with LASIK surgery.
- Prior to the surgery, your doctor will examine your eyes to be sure that they are healthy and free from infection.
- Your doctor will also evaluate the shape and thickness of the cornea of the eye.
- You will be allowed to undergo a wavefront analysis. Should stop wearing eyeglasses or contact lens as directed by your doctor.
- Your medical history and health history are noted down by your doctor.
- Take all the medications as instructed by your doctor.
- Don't read, write, or use a cellphone or computer for about 30 minutes prior to the test.
What are the steps involved in LASIK?
Steps involved in the LASIK surgery are:
- After preparing the patient for surgery, local anesthesia is given to the patient as eye drops.
- Then, specialized equipment known as a microkeratome is used to create a thin hinged flap in the surface of the cornea of an eye.
- Next, your surgeon will activate the LASIK laser, and by using it cornea is reshaped precisely to improve the vision of your eye while tracking and monitoring your eye with a computer.
- After reshaping the cornea, the flap will be replaced on your surface of the cornea without using any stitches by the surgeon.
What is the recovery care for LASIK Surgery?
Some instructions are to you by your doctor after the completion of surgery and they are:
- Avoid bending or lifting heavy weights which may put pressure on your eyes.
- Avoid few fitness activities like aerobics and jogging until your eyes have healed completely.
- Use the eyedrops regularly as advised by your doctor.
- While sleeping, keep your head higher than your chest on the pillow.
- Don't touch or rub your eyes.
- Take all the prescribed medications as directed by your doctor.
- Avoid makeup, creams, and lotions during eye healing.
Who can perform LASIK?
LASIK Surgery can be performed by:
- An experienced Ophthalmologists with training in LASIK surgery.
- Any MD [Doctor of medicine] with several years of training in LASIK.
- Optometrists who completed LASIK training and performed successful surgeries.
What is the cost of LASIK in Hyderabad?
The amount to be paid for LASIK in Hyderabad may vary according to factors such as:
- Doctor's fee
- Hospital charges
- Medical condition
- Type of LASIK planned to perform
- Lab tests recommended
The minimum amount to be paid for LASIK in Hyderabad starts from Rs.25,000
The average charges for LASIK in Hyderabad can range approximately around Rs.60,000
The maximum price for LASIK in Hyderabad is up to Rs.1,25,000
Is LASIK a major surgery or minor surgery?
LASIK Surgery can be either major or minor procedure depending on the patient's medical condition.
Who can undergo LASIK Surgery?
People who can undergo LASIK surgery are:
- Individuals older than18 years with eyesight difficulties.
- The cornea of the eye must be thick enough for surgery.
- Individuals whose vision has been stable for almost a year.
- People who are not comfortable to wear contact lens or eyeglasses.
Who cannot undergo LASIK?
People who cannot undergo LASIK surgery are:
- Individuals who are less than the age of 18 years [Based on the severity of eyesight].
- Pregnant women.
- Individuals with a weak immune system or in poor health.
- Individuals who are satisfied with either eyeglasses or contact lens.
- Individuals with changing eye vision over a year.
What are the risks and complications involved in LASIK?
As with every surgery, LASIK also has its own benefits, risks, and complications and they are the following:
- Temporary visual disturbances
- Bulging of the eye surface [Keratectasia or Keratoconus]
- Irregular astigmatism
- Dry eyes
- Sensitive to light
- Blurred vision
- Irregular healing of the outer layer of the cornea
- Eye discomfort
- Inflammation under the LASIK flap
- Decreased sharpness of the vision
- Seeing halos around the objects
- Eye infection
- Poor night vision
- Vision loss (very rare)
How long does it take to complete LASIK Surgery?
The procedure may take almost 10-40 minutes to complete and may take more time depending on the condition of the patient.
What is the recovery time from LASIK Surgery?
Individuals who undergo LASIK Surgery may take 1 -4 weeks to recover completely.
What is the success rate of LASIK Surgery?
The success rate of LASIK surgery depends on:
- The medical condition of an individual
- Experience of the doctor in performing LASIK Surgery
- Age of the patient
However, the success rate of LASIK surgery can range from 90%-99% based on the medical condition of the individual.
Is LASIK painful?
Every surgery comes with a certain level of pain and some discomfort. You won't be experiencing pain in the eyes during the process as anesthetic eye drops will be applied to the eyes for which LASIK is needed.
Is LASIK permanent?
Usually, LASIK is a permanent procedure that helps in correcting or improving eye vision. However, in very few cases due to the change in the eye lens, vision problems may reappear and may lead to blurred vision.
What are the long-term results associated with LASIK?
The following are the long term results of LASIK are:
- Improve eye vision
- Permanently correct astigmatism, near-sightedness, and farsightedness
- Change in the cornea of the eye
Can LASIK surgery be detected in the future?
Yes. LASIK can be detected in the future as the cornea becomes very thin.
What if LASIK fails?
Few of the options available if the LASIK surgery is not successful are the following:
- A LASIK enhancement
- Retreatment with medications and diet
- Additional or a revision eye surgery as discussed with your doctor
- Reuse of contact lens or eyeglasses
What are the alternatives available for LASIK?
The following are the alternatives for LASIK surgery in Hyderabad:
- Phakic intraocular lens implants
- Refractive lens exchange surgery