Frequently Asked Questions
What is Gynecomastia Surgery?
Gynecomastia Surgery is a surgery that involves the removal of excess tissue or fat accumulated in the chest region of men which usually appear odd. This helps in treating conditions such as side effects for steroid abuse, hormonal imbalance due to decreased testosterone productions, increased levels of estrogen and cholesterol, and other conditions.
What are the benefits of Gynecomastia Surgery?
Following are some benefits of Gynaecomastia Surgery:
- The surgery can relieve pain and discomfort
- Provides flatter and masculine chest
- Faster recovery and invisible scars
- Improved quality of life by promoting self-confidence and self-esteem in men
What are the indications of Gynecomastia Surgery?
Following are the indications of Gynaecomastia Surgery:
- Altered hormone levels due to conditions like Hypogonadism, Hyperthyroidism, and malnutrition, etc.
- Severe back, neck, and shoulder pain due to enlarged breasts
- Chronic rash or irritation of the skin under the breasts
- Restricted activity, Difficulty due to large breasts
What is the preparation required for Gynecomastia Surgery?
- The patient should discuss with the doctor about all the risks, complications, and benefits associated with Gynecomastia Surgery.
- Inform the doctor about the present and past medical and medication history.
- The doctor may suggest the patient undergo a few lab tests.
- Health condition of the patient may be evaluated before undergoing this procedure.
What are the steps involved in Gynaecomastia Surgery?
Following are the steps involved in Gynaecomastia Surgery:
- If gynecomastia is due to excess fatty tissue, then the surgeon may use a Liposuction technique to reduce the breast size.
- If gynecomastia is due to excess breast tissue or skin, then the excision technique is used by the surgeon.
What is the postprocedure care for Gynecomastia Surgery?
- After the surgery, chest will be dressed using bandages or gauze.
- The excess fluid or blood will be drained with the help of a tube placed under each arm.
- The patient may suffer from pain and swelling in the chest region. In such cases, use pain killers prescribed by the doctor.
- Keep the chest area clean all the time to prevent any infections.
- Antibiotics may be prescribed by the doctor to avoid any kind of infection.
- Physical activity should be limited for at least two to four weeks after the surgery.
- Should make follow-up visits to the doctor to remove sutures, to know if the sutures are healed, etc.
- Should avoid exercise until the doctor says.
- Should sleep on the back for several weeks.
Who can do Gynecomastia Surgery?
Gynaecomastia Surgery can be done by a well experienced and skilled plastic surgeon or a cosmetic surgeon.
What can be the cost of Gynecomastia Surgery in Hyderabad?
Following factors may affect the cost of Gynecomastia Surgery in Hyderabad:
- Admission fee
- Type of surgery performed.
- Patient age
- Surgeon fee
- Area of the body to be treated
- Health condition of the patient
- Post-surgical complications that are involved
- Type of hospital
- The admission room that you opted for
- Any other lab tests or examination tests such as X-ray, ECG, etc.
Minimum cost in Hyderabad starts from Rs.30,000
Average price in Hyderabad is approximately Rs.61,560
Maximum expenses in Hyderabad rise up to Rs.1,00,000
Is Gynecomastia Surgery a major surgery or minor surgery?
Gynaecomastia Surgery either be a major or minor surgery as it depends on the patient's condition.
Who can undergo Gynecomastia Surgery?
Following are the individuals who can undergo Gynecomastia Surgery:
- People suffering from Gynecomastia.
- Individuals suffering from back pain, neck pain, shoulder pain, and rashes or skin irritation under the breasts due to large breasts.
- Men with enlarged breasts due to hormonal changes and cannot be treated with other treatment options.
Who cannot undergo Gynecomastia Surgery?
Following are the individuals who cannot undergo Gynecomastia Surgery are men whose condition can be managed with medicines and weight loss.
What are the complications and risks involved in Gynaecomastia Surgery?
Following are the risks and complications of Gynaecomastia Surgery:
- Asymmetry of breasts
- Pain in the breast
- Blood clots
- Bleeding at the site of incision
- Irregularities in the shape of breasts
- Loss of sensation in and around the nipples
- Temporary bruising
- Damage to the deeper tissues such as muscles, blood vessels, and nerves.
- Slow wound healing
What is the time required to complete Gynecomastia Surgery?
A surgeon may take almost 30 to 90 minutes to complete the Gynaecomastia Surgery
What is the recovery time of Gynecomastia Surgery?
Recovery time from Gynecomastia Surgery can be 2-4 weeks and depends on the health condition of the patient.
What is the success rate of Gynecomastia Surgery?
Following factors may affect the success rate of Gynaecomastia Surgery:
- Patient age
- Health condition of the patient
- Experience of the surgeon
- Type of surgery performed
However, the success rate of Gynaecomastia Surgery maybe 93%.
Does Gynecomastia Surgery cause pain?
Gynaecomastia Surgery may not cause any pain during surgery. However, after the surgery, there may be mild to moderate pain.
Is Gynecomastia Surgery a permanent procedure/surgery?
The surgery involves the removal of excess tissue and fat. Hence, Gynaecomastia surgery is a permanent procedure.
What are the long-term effects of Gynecomastia Surgery?
Following are the long-term effects of Gynecomastia Surgery:
- Relief from the symptoms of pain and discomfort caused by heavy breasts
- The size of the breast tissue may increase in a few men in very rare cases.
Can Gynecomastia Surgery be detected in the future?
Gynecomastia surgery can be detected in the future by comparing photos before and after the surgery
What are the available options if Gynecomastia Surgery is not successful?
If Gynecomastia Surgery is not successful, then the doctor may suggest undergoing revision surgery.
What can be the alternatives for Gynecomastia Surgery?
The following are the alternatives for Gynecomastia Surgery:
- Tissue resection
- Nipple-areolar complex elevation
- Breast reduction medications
- Power-assisted liposuction (PAL)