Frequently Asked Questions
What is Blepharoplasty?
Blepharoplasty is also known as eyelid surgery, is a surgical procedure that makes changes to the eyelids by removing excess skin, muscle or fat. This will help in making the person look young and may help in better vision. This surgery is mostly preferred for cosmetic purposes.
What are the advantages of Blepharoplasty?
The following are the advantages of Blepharoplasty:
- It helps in improving the vision by removing the excess skin that is blocking the vision.
- It helps in reducing the puffiness and wrinkles around the eyes.
- It also helps in improving the facial looks.
What are the indications of Blepharoplasty?
The following are the indications of Blepharoplasty:
- Droopy or saggy eyelids
- Bags below the eyes
- Excess skin on the upper eyelids which may interfere with the peripheral vision
- Excess skin on the lower eyelids
What is the preparation for Blepharoplasty?
Following steps are required for an individual for preparation of Blepharoplasty:
- Inform the doctor about the medications that you are taking and the past medical conditions.
- Discuss with the Surgeon regarding all the benefits, risks, and complications associated with Blepharoplasty.
- The patient's eyelids may be photographed from various angles which may help in planning the surgery.
- If you are using any soft contact lenses then they must be removed at least a week prior to the surgery.
- Avoid having food for at least 6 hours before the surgery.
- Also, avoid applying any creams or makeup on the day of surgery.
- Take the medications as instructed by the doctor.
- Don't read, write, or use a mobile phone or computer for about 30 minutes prior to the test.
What are the steps involved in Blepharoplasty?
The steps followed in the Blepharoplasty may vary according to the type of correction needed by the patient. The general steps are as follows:
- General anesthesia is given to the patient to numb the area and to reduce the pain.
- A small incision is made on the fold of the eyelid by the doctor to remove some excess fat, muscle or sagging skin and then closes the incision.
- If the upper eyelid is drooping on the eye, then the doctor provides extra support to the eyebrow muscle.
What is the post-surgery care/recovery care for Blepharoplasty?
The following are the post-care steps to be followed after Blepharoplasty:
- Do not let soap come into contact at the site of surgery.
- Do not rub the eyes for 2 weeks.
- Place ice packs on the operated area to reduce bruising or swelling.
- While sleeping, keep your head higher than your chest on the pillow.
- Do not use lotions, creams, make-up, etc. around the operated area.
- Avoid going for a swim after the surgery at least for a week.
- Do not lift weights or play sports like tennis and racquetball for the next one week after the surgery.
- Avoid going to crowded places and dusty areas to reduce complications after the surgery.
- Use sunglasses while going out to protect the eyes from direct sunlight.
- The patient may be asked not to consume alcohol for at least 1-week post-surgery.
- Follow all the instructions given by the doctor.
- There should be follow-up visits to the doctor after this surgery after a week to monitor the condition or to remove any sutures if present.
- If there is intolerable pain which cannot be managed with pain killers or infection at the site of the surgery or if the incision is not healing or separating, bleeding at the site of incision, vision getting worse; consult the doctor immediately.
Who can perform Blepharoplasty [Right specialist for Blepharoplasty]?
Blepharoplasty can be performed by a certified and skilled Oculoplastic Surgeon who is well experienced in cosmetic surgery or an experienced Ophthalmologist.
What is the cost of Blepharoplasty?
Cost of Blepharoplasty depends on factors such as:
- Admission fee
- Doctor fee
- Type of hospital
- Age of the patient
- Type of surgical procedure
- The medical condition of the patient
- Post-surgical complications that are involved
- The admission room that you opted for
- Any other lab tests or examination tests such as X-ray, Scanning, etc
Minimum cost in Hyderabad starts from
Average price in Hyderabad is approximately Rs.28,370
Maximum expenses in Hyderabad rise up to Rs.48,990
Is Blepharoplasty a major surgery or minor surgery?
Blepharoplasty is considered minor surgery with minimal incisions.
What is the eligibility criteria for Blepharoplasty?
The eligibility criteria for Blepharoplasty are as follows:
- Individuals who are having inward or outward eyelids.
- People with weak eyelids around the eyes.
- Individuals who have an eye injury or eyelid problem due to accidents or birth defects.
- Individuals who need to change the appearance of the eyes.
What is the ineligibility criteria for Blepharoplasty?
The following are the ineligibility criteria for Blepharoplasty:
- Individuals who are having a poor immune system.
- People with severe eye infections.
What are the risks and complications associated with Blepharoplasty?
Risks and Complications associated with Blepharoplasty are:
- Tissue sag
- Orbital hemorrhage
- Injury to eye muscles
- Skin discoloration
- Scarring of the tissue
- Feeling difficult to close the eyes
How long does it take to complete Blepharoplasty?
Blepharoplasty may take around 20 minutes to 2 hours depending on the type of surgery and complexity of the surgery.
What is the recovery time?
The bruising may be reduced within two weeks of the surgery and most people can return to the normal activities after a week or 10 days.
What is the success rate of Blepharoplasty?
The success rate of Blepharoplasty depends on the following factors:
- Age of the patient
- The medical condition of the patient
- Type of surgery performed
Is Blepharoplasty painful?
Every surgery comes with a certain level of pain and discomfort. During Blepharoplasty, little discomfort may be experienced by the patients.
Is Blepharoplasty permanent?
In Blepharoplasty, the eyelids are corrected which is a permanent procedure.
What are the long-term results of Blepharoplasty?
The long-term result of Blepharoplasty is the improvement in the eyelids, eyebrows, and facial looks.
Can Blepharoplasty be detected in the future?
Blepharoplasty may be detected in the future by comparing the eye photos before and after the surgery.
What are the options if Blepharoplasty fails?
If Blepharoplasty fails then the doctor may recommend revision surgery.
What is the alternative for Blepharoplasty?
The alternative for Blepharoplasty is Skin Resurfacing.