Frequently Asked Questions
What is IUI?
IUI is a medical procedure which helps in treating infertility by increasing the sperm count to reach the uterus and provides fertilization to happen. It is coordinated with the menstrual cycle and a few fertility medications.
What are the uses of IUI?
Following are the uses of IUI:
- Increases the sperm count
- Less chance to cause vaginal irritation
- Less expensive and invasive procedure when compared to other treatments
- Can be performed in the doctor office
In what conditions IUI is indicated?
Indications of IUI are the following:
- Cervical mucus problems
- Ejaculation dysfunction
- Failure of medical fertility treatment
- Infertility due to unexplained reasons
- Male infertilityInability of the sperm to reach the uterus
How a patient should prepare for IUI?
- The doctor may evaluate and check the patient health condition.
- Follow the diet as instructed by the dietician.
- Should discuss all the risks, complications, and benefits of IUI with the doctor.
- Inform the doctor about the past and present medications and medical history.
- The patient should undergo a few lab tests suggested by the doctor.
How IUI is performed?
IUI is performed by following the below steps:
- The doctor will check the cervix with the help of a speculum.
- Then, the washed sperm sample will be injected into the uterus.
- After completion of the procedure, progesterone medications may be prescribed.
What is the postprocedure care for IUI?
- Make follow up appointments with the doctor to check the treatment progression.
- Avoid taking any painkillers without doctor consultation.
- Avoid sexual intercourse for at least 48 hours after completion of IUI.
Who can perform IUI?
IUI can be performed by:
- Any doctor with experience or training in infertility treatment
What is the price of IUI in Gurgaon?
Price of IUI in Gurgaon may vary due to the following factors:
- Age of the patient
- Any other lab tests or examination tests such as X-ray, ECG, etc
- Type of Hospital
- Doctor fee
- The medical condition of the patient
- Post-surgical complications that are involved
- Number of IUI treatment cycles
- The admission room that you opted forAdmission fee
Minimum amount to be paid in Gurgaon starts from Rs.5,000.
Average expenses in Gurgaon is approximately Rs.7,000.
Maximum charges in Gurgaon may rise up to Rs.10,000.
Who are eligible to undergo IUI?
Eligible candidates for IUI are:
- Couples of the same sex, who are willing to get conceive.
- Single women's who like to get pregnant.
- Couples who failed to conceive even after having unprotected sexual intercourse for one to two years.
- Females with good condition of reproductive organs but failed to conceive.
Who are ineligible to undergo IUI?
Ineligible candidates for IUI are:
- Blockage in the fallopian tubes
- Male partner infertility
- Failed history of IUI
- Tubal disease
- Pelvic infections
- Severe endometriosis
What can be the complications and risks associated with IUI?
Complications and risks associated with IUI are:
- Low birth weight
- Ovarian cysts
- Vaginal bleeding
- Swelling and rashes at and around the site of injection
- Abdominal pain
- Mood swings
- Chance of multiple pregnancies
What is the success rate of IUI?
The success rate of IUI is determined by factors such as:
- Sperm Motility
- Experience of the doctor
- Ovulation period
- Patient age
- The condition of the female reproductive organs
- Health condition of the patient
The success rate of IUI increases by20% per each treatment cycle.
Does IUI cause pain?
IUI procedure may cause mild to moderate pain.
What can be the long-term effects of IUI?
The long-term effect of IUI is chances to get conceived.
What can be done after IUI failure?
The doctor may suggest the following options, in case of IUI failure even after 3-5 cycles of treatment.
- Medical treatment that helps in increasing motility of the sperm
- Drugs to stimulate ovulation
What are other options for IUI?
Other options for IUI are the following:
- Donor embryos
- Gamete intrafallopian transfer [GIFT]
- Fertility drugs
- Reproductive surgery
- In vitro fertilization [IVF]
- Zygote intrafallopian transfer [ZIFT]
- Donor eggs
- Donor sperm