Frequently Asked Questions
What is IUI?
Intrauterine Insemination is a type of fertility treatment that helps the patients to conceive. It is a medical treatment method for infertility issues and done by coordinating with the fertility medications and menstrual cycle. Thus helps in fertilization by increasing the sperm count. This is less expensive when compared with other fertility treatments.
What can be the advantages of IUI?
- Less chance to cause vaginal irritation
- Less cost when compared with other methods
- Increases the sperm count
What are the indications of IUI?
- Male infertility
- Ejaculation dysfunction
- Inability of the sperm to reach the uterus
- Infertility due to unexplained reasons
- Failure of medical fertility treatment
What is the preparation for IUI?
- About the risks, complications, and uses of IUI should be discussed with the doctor.
- The patient should inform about past and present medical and medications history to the doctor.
- The doctor may suggest undergoing a few lab tests and other examinations
- The medical condition of the patient may be checked by the doctor before undergoing IUI.
What are the steps involved in the IUI?
- The doctor will examine the cervix.
- The washed sperm sample will be injected into the uterus.
- After the procedure, some medications will be given to the patients.
What is the care taken for patients after the procedure?
- Should not take any painkillers without informing the doctor.
- Consult the doctor to check the treatment status.
- Avoid sexual intercourse.
Doctors from which specialty can perform this IUI?
A well experienced and qualified Gynecologist can perform IUI.
What is the price of IUI in Chennai?
Expenses for IUI in Chennai changes due to the following factors:
- Number of treatment cycles performed
- The medical condition of the patient
- Doctor fee
- Admission fee
- Age of the patient
- Type of hospital
- The admission room that you opted for
- Post-surgical complications that are involved
- Any other lab tests or examination tests such as X-ray, ECG, etc
Minimum amount to be paid in Chennai starts from Rs. 8,075
Average charges in Chennai is approximately Rs. 23,750
Maximum cost in Chennai rises up to Rs. 38,000
Who can prefer to get IUI?
- Females who failed to conceive even with good condition of reproductive organs.
- Single women's who like to get pregnant.
- Couples who failed to conceive after having unprotected sex.
Who cannot prefer to get IUI?
Individuals with the following conditions cannot prefer IUI:
- Blockage in the fallopian tubes
- Tubal disease
- Male partner infertility
- Pelvic infections
- Severe endometriosis
- Failed history of IUI
What may be the risks and complications of IUI?
- Chance of multiple pregnancies
- Low birth weight
- Ovarian cysts
- Mood swings
- Vaginal bleeding
- Pain in the abdomen
What is the success rate of IUI?
A few factors may determine the success rate of IUI and they are:
- Period of ovulation
- Age of the patient
- The condition of the female reproductive organs
- Motility of the sperm
- Experience of the doctor
- Health condition of the patient
The success rate of IUI increases by 20% per each treatment cycle.
Can a patient experience pain during IUI?
A tolerable pain may be caused by IUI to the patients.
What to do in case of IUI failure?
The doctor may suggest a few more IUI treatment cycles in case of 2-3 failed IUI treatment cycles.
Other options for failed IUI are:
- Medicines to increase sperm motility.
Are there any alternatives to IUI?
Alternatives for IUI are:
- Fertility drugs
- Donor eggs
- Zygote intrafallopian transfer [ZIFT]
- Reproductive surgery
- Donor embryos
- Donor sperm Surrogacy
- In vitro fertilization [IVF]
- Gamete intrafallopian transfer [GIFT]