Book appointments with minimum wait-time & verified doctor details
1. What is an ovarian cyst?
An ovarian cyst is a sac or pocket filled with fluid that is found on the surface or inside the ovary.
2. What symptoms are associated with cysts in the ovaries?
Ovarian cyst generally does not lead to any symptom and may go away on its own. However, the following symptoms are observed in cases of large ovarian cysts:
- Dull or sharp pain in the lower abdomen
- A feeling of heaviness and fullness in the abdomen
- Abnormally heavy or light periods
- Pain during sex
- Frequent urination
- Difficulty clearing the bowel
-Feeling a lump
3. What are the causes of ovarian cysts?
Cysts are often observed in women during the reproductive age. However, they may affect women after menopause. They may occur due to the following reasons:
- Changes in the egg release pattern
- Abnormal growth of cells in the ovaries which may or may not be cancerous
- Polycystic ovary syndrome
- Endometriosis, the accumulation of the lining of the womb outside the uterus
4. Is it possible to conceive if I have an ovarian cyst?
Yes, it is possible to conceive if you have an ovarian cyst. Although women do face difficulty in getting pregnant.
5. How will the doctor diagnose a cyst in the ovary?
The following tests are recommended for the diagnosis of an ovarian cyst:
- Ultrasound imaging of the pelvis
- Pregnancy test
- Laparoscopy which helps in viewing inside the abdomen by inserting a small camera into the abdomen through a small incision
- Cancer antigen 125 blood test to check for ovarian cancer