What is infertilty
Doctor Answers (1) on What is infertilty
1. Infertility or subfertility is failure to conceive for at least 1 year after regular spontaneous unprotected intercourse in a couple where the woman is in the reproductive age.
2. Unfortunately, although there are certain predictors which imply reduced fertility, prediction of fertility is difficult. There are certain conditions like gonadal dysgenesis or Congenital absence of female genital tract which would be able to predict future infertility, but not all.
3. The symptoms would only be a perceived difficulty to conceive.
4. The cause of infertility is either male or female. In males, it may be due to testicular chromosomal disorders, congenital absence of the vas deference, or sexual dysfunction.
It may also be due to reduced hypothalamic or pituitary hormones.
5. In women, subfertility is classified on the basis of Ovarian factors , Tubal factors, Uterine and Hypo thalmo-pituitary factors.
There is also a separate entity called unexplained infertility, in which no cause is found after testing for the above.
6. There is no way to prevent infertility for sure. However, certain modifiable risk factors like avoiding smoking, regular screening and treatment of sexually transmitted diseases, avoiding late childbearing, optimum threshold for seeking medical advice, sex education regarding attitudes and safe sex practices would lead to better reproductive health outcomes.
If you do not have any specific pelvic pathology, especially sexually transmitted disease and have a normal libido and perception towards sexual health I believe u are healthy.