Walking guidance

I need to pass walking test of 26 km walk in 4 hours (on 28th Feb).so I am practicing for it,but while and after walking I feel sever pain in my calf muscles and tibialis anterior portion.Request you to suggest if any pain reliever should be taken or how to approach this practice.

Doctor Answers (1) on Walking guidance

Dr. Biswajit Dutta Baruah Chennai | Orthopedic Surgeon
Thanks for asking me to respond. There are many reasons why your calf muscles hurt. If you're unaccustomed to walking long distances, then lactic acid accumulation in the muscles causes pain or soreness. In order to avoid this you are ideally required to gradually increase your distance of walking over a period of several weeks. Secondly the muscles tend to go into spasm in such a situation. To counter that you must do stretching exercises for the calf muscles before and after the walk. Third reason inadequate fluids in the body. Walking long distances causes dehydration or miss of water through sweat. So carry a bottle of water. If you can find Enerzal in the local pharmacy mix a large scoop in the water as well. This will help maintain the electrolytes as well. Drink in sips every 20-30 min when walling. After you finish your walk make sure you eat some food in order to replenish the lady calories. This is required for healing of the sore muscles. This way you can avoid pain and enjoy your walk. Good luck!