Varicose veins

Dear doctor, I have some reddish purple veins in thigh and calf region. Recently there is a swelling in calf veins and a big clot around 8 cm diameter appeared in the thigh region. Sometimes I have a pain and cramp in the calf region during night. Is this all because of varicose veins. If so then what is the treatment.

Sharath Kumar K N
General Physician Mandya
Hello, I went through your query, yes varicose veins (dilated tortuous veins, due to incompetent vessels), predisposes to thrombosis (clotting) of blood due to stagnation of venous blood. There are several surgical methods to manage varicose veins, like surgical stripping of veins, sclerotherapy, endothermal ablation. Medical measures like compressive stockings also available, best method of treatment is decided by surgeon depends on your clinical condition. Please consult general surgeon.