Tonsil. Stones

I get tonsil stones. Its mostly small small irritating stones..... but i do get bigger stones too sometimes. What can be the reason .

How to avoid them

I have mostly noticed it next day of drinking or when i light extra smokes. I usually smoke 1 in a day .

Doctor Answers (2) on Tonsil. Stones

Dear friend.

As per ur history of stone formation in tonsilar crypt. it could be prevented to an large extend by:

1. maintain good oral hygiene.

2. Drink large quantities of water daily.

3. Make it a point to continously sucking mouth dissolving citric acid lozenges.

REMEMBER IN GENERAL STONE FORMATION IS DUE TO INADEQUATE INTAKE OF WATER OR EXCESSIVE LOSS OF BODY FLUIDS, WITH IMPROPER ORAL HYGIENE CAUSES COLONIZATION OF BACTERIA CAUSING STONE FORMATION.

Check for possibility of xerostomia( mouth dryness), Candidiasis ( fungal infection) which facilitates stone formation.

In serious problems visit an maxillofacial surgeon or ENT specialist.

Dr. Hiren Patel Bangalore | Cosmetic/Aesthetic Dentist
reason for tonsil stones(tonsillolith):

Your tonsils are filled with nooks and crannies where bacteria and other materials, including dead cells and mucous, can become trapped. When this happens, the debris can become concentrated in white formations that occur in the pockets.
Tonsil stones are formed when this trapped debris hardens, or calcifies. This tends to happen most often in people who have chronic inflammation in their tonsils or repeated bouts of tonsilloliths

The appropriate treatment for a tonsil stone depends on the size of the tonsillolith and its potential to cause discomfort or harm. options include:

- Many tonsil stones, especially ones that have no symptoms, require no special treatment.
-Some people choose to dislodge tonsil stones at home with the use of picks or swabs.
- Gargling with warm, salty water may help ease the discomfort of tonsillitis, which often accompanies tonsil stones.
-When tonsil stones are exceedingly large and symptomatic, it may be necessary for a surgeon to remove them. In certain instances, a doctor will be able to perform this relatively simple procedure using a local numbing agent.