Thyroid problem

As per my last TSH (Thyroid Stimulating Hormone) report the value was 4.70 where i have been adviced to take Thyrox-25.And today when i have tested my TSH the value is 8.97.Can you advice what should i do in this situation or which medicine should i start..?

Doctor Answers (2) on Thyroid problem

Dr. Anil Kumar Jain Bangalore | General Physician
Hello there. I can understand your concern. What you are having is hypothyroidism which means your thyroid gland is not producing enough thyroid hormone need for you. You were put on 25mcg of the hormone but since your TSH has increased still, clearly you require a dose adjustment. Initially it is started off with a lower dose and then gradually increased upto a level suitable to you. Kindly consult your general physician in person for further management and dose adjustment. Best regards. Dr. Anil kumar jain.
Dr. Chethan R S Bangalore | General Physician
Hi....., Standard treatment for hypothyroidism involves daily use of the synthetic thyroid hormone levothyroxine .. This oral medication restores adequate hormone levels, reversing the signs and symptoms of hypothyroidism. To determine the right dosage of levothyroxine initially, your doctor generally checks your level of TSH after two to three months.....follow the instructions given by your Physician.....